Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all,

First off I have to say it's great to find a place where everyone loves their pup as much as I love mine. Quick intro, I'm male and married with two boys ages 6 and 8. We adopted a 5 month old pit black lab cross last Christmas and love him dearly. Roofus is extremely friendly and shows no signs of aggression during the day but gets protective of the house and yard at night. If he hears anything he goes to the window or door and growls, complete with the fur on his back standing up in a wide strip. He calms down right away when he's told to settle down. I'm curious as to whether this is normal or if it's something I should be concerned about. He also loves to wrestle and play tug-of-war and from what I'm reading this can lead to aggression problems, is this true? He's extremely gentle and I don't want that to change. A quick question from my wife. Is he ever going to stop growing? I know it's hard to tell because he's a cross but at 17 months and 65 lbs he's starting to take up a lot of the bed. Both of his parents are large dogs. I'll upload some pics when I get a chance. Looking forward to being a part of this forum.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I think your dog is just more wary at night, when I go for a walk with Abby she walks with her ears perked up for any noise she hears. He's probably just being protective of your house. Don't try and calm him down and pet him when he does it though cause that will just make it happen more, instead just make a loud "SHHHHHHHH" with your mouth until he quiets down. The tug-of-war games are okay, as long as you teach the drop command meaning anytime you say "drop it" he lets go just incase things get to ruff, i'm not so sure of the wrestling especially if he's going to be a big boy. Stop any un-wanted behavior now, cause the rumor "Oh they'll just grow out it" is not true. And yes, he will stop growing :) (atleast I hope so LOL) Can't wait to see pictures of your Roofus!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Hey Meela, welcome to the forum. Our girl, shes 8 months, is also protective/cautious at night. If someone is coming in the dark, she stands at attention, puts herself between whoever is coming and her hair goes up. She used to bark often but now she is more quiet. She reacts stronger at noises during the night also. American Bulldogs have a tendency to be protective/aggressive at night. At least this is what I've read from multiple sources. This may be the norm with other bully breeds like pits but I'm not sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts