Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning Lila pulled the cushion off the sofa (about an hour before I got up), shredded it and pee on it. She's done this before but not for a very long time. She's always been allowed to sleep on the sofa but now I don't know what to do with her. She's 17 mos old now and I'm sooooo angry with her :evil: . She cowers and looks sad when I walk by her so I know she is aware of what she's done.

She's in a kennel all day, so I hate to put her in it again at night. Any ideas?

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
I guess you need to figure out which bothers you more:

crating her at night or buying a new sofa cushion.

I think I'd go with peace of mind if it were me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This will be the second cushion - I guess the kennel maybe in order. Do you have any ideas as to why she would do this? I've been trying to think of anything different but everything seems the same to me. Do you think she'll always have these destructive behaviors or will she out grow it?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I would also crate her at night. Not because of having to buy new cushions, but because next time it could be something that could hurt her. I have heard they chew up stuff when they are bored. But Faith was left out on accident twice. Once all day and then once for an hour. She did as much destruction in one hour as she did in 8 hours. So she is crated during the day and night. She is only 14 months old and I hope later she will be able to sleep in her bed on our bedroom floor at night. But as for now no.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
If you feel guilty for crating her all day and don't want to do it at night, how about kiddie gating her off in the kitchen or some room where she can't be so destructive but have a little area at the same time.

·
Registered
515 Posts
She will shread the entire couch if given the chance. :( Believe me.............

I need to take pictures of my couch. :roll:

All three cushions shredded.......skirting ripped off.

The wife asked me the other day when we were getting a new couch. :shock:

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
L & L said:
This will be the second cushion - I guess the kennel maybe in order. Do you have any ideas as to why she would do this? I've been trying to think of anything different but everything seems the same to me. Do you think she'll always have these destructive behaviors or will she out grow it?
if you REALLY REALLY dont want to crate her at night, i suggest a long walk and a nice long play about an hour before you go to bed. get her worn out as much as possible. mainly the reason she is doing is is because shes up, awake, and bored.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think taking her for a long walk and playing hard will help. She does get bored easily. I'd let her sleep in my room but she and her sister snore sooooo loud no one can sleep :lol:

My son is trying to repair what left of the cushion 8) - I wonder how she'll act around me when I get home tonight. This morning she looked very sad and embarassed.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
My boxer was the same way, but she eventually grew out of it. We accidentally left her out once, and came home to see EVERY window had the blinds pulled down & she literally chewed on & tore apart every blade on each!!! She was scolded real good, and to this day if you rattle the blinds at her she looks at you like "I didn't do it!" :lol:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Pete used to have his own couch, in his own room. He slept on there when we were out and at night, or if he was just bored and wanted to go down there. He first pulled the little buttons off the back. Then he'd dig up the cushions and have them all over. Then he started ripping the fabric off the cushions and ripping the foam core out. Next thing you know he was down to one cushion, on which he threw up and it smelled nasty. So, no more couch for him.
He now has his own bed in our bedroom. He's pretty good with this, although if he's bored he'll go lay down during the day and pull all the stuffing out of his bed or rip up his blanket.
He's a chewer and it doesn't matter how many toys he has, he prefers to chew up his beds/blankets.
Hopefully when my leg is better and I can resume his walks, Pete will be too tired to do anything except sleep!
By the way, he's 3 and it doesn't look like he's growing out of it!!
Good luck!

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
carson said:
Pete used to have his own couch, in his own room. He slept on there when we were out and at night, or if he was just bored and wanted to go down there. He first pulled the little buttons off the back. Then he'd dig up the cushions and have them all over. Then he started ripping the fabric off the cushions and ripping the foam core out. Next thing you know he was down to one cushion, on which he threw up and it smelled nasty. So, no more couch for him.
He now has his own bed in our bedroom. He's pretty good with this, although if he's bored he'll go lay down during the day and pull all the stuffing out of his bed or rip up his blanket.
He's a chewer and it doesn't matter how many toys he has, he prefers to chew up his beds/blankets.
Hopefully when my leg is better and I can resume his walks, Pete will be too tired to do anything except sleep!
By the way, he's 3 and it doesn't look like he's growing out of it!!
Good luck!
LOL! too funny! What we have found for Bub is the only thing he can have in his crate are old beach towels. We have tried to be nice and give him a pillow or 2 and all he does it rip them to shreds. Funny thing is, you put a pillow out on the floor and he'll be so good with it. He'll get real comfy on it and just lay there till he falls asleep. The second you put one in his crate he becomes Dr. Jekyl and there goes another perfectly good pillow. After about 4 or 5 times of being nice he has ruined his chances. Silly pooch!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Lots of stimulation...

Make sure your pup has LOTS of toys - and a wide variety of things that can be safely chewed on so there are options other than the couch. PUt stuff in corners where it's kind of a hide and seek for her..like a kong toy or one of those big treat balls with a few munchies or pieces of her own food so that she seeks it out and then has to spend x amount of time digging at her toy to get the prize. When we leave the house, we drag all of the toys downstairs to where ChiChi stays so she can play at will. Then we block her out of the part of the house where we don't want the possibilty of any accidents occuring (new carpet) with a baby gate. Lots of excersise too..when we take ChiChi out for a walk, she's as good as gold, but if we miss it..she is bouncing off the walls in the house and getting into everything. And above all, potty break right before we leave...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Our Sally has ripped the apron off our sofa but we do crate her at night and leave her our during the day. she has earned the right so far......

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my guilt got the best of me and I've been letting Lila stay out at night. however we walk her for a half hour and then play tug for a while after so far so good. she just curls up and falls asleep. she stays asleep even after I come down in the morning. I have to wake her up to go out. Exercise seems to be the key. Thanks and keep your fingers crossed for me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
taking walks works miracles! we dont want Sally to sleep in our bed and she barrels her way through everything to get upstairs so the crate at night must stay for now. we have a loft, so there is no door.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a hyper Lab/shep who ate a couple of the cushions. I put a throw over the cushions and tuck it in forming a long surface with no tempting corners. So far its worked.

Peace,
Jane and the Hole in the Wall Gang

1 - 17 of 17 Posts