Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Choppy is loving, tail-waggin' happy dog. You always know how he is feeling cause his tail tells you so, but for two days now he has had his tail tucked in tight between his legs. I lifted it to see but he yelped and I let go. Choppy is a strong dog and he has NEVER yelped for anything. He is just laying around and sulking. I don't know what it could be..

Help please

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm gonna do that tomorrow morning. I think his butt is swollen. Maybe anal gland but I read online that usually one is swollen not both.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
is it possible that choppy broke his tail when wagging it?
do you notice any swelling of his tail at all or is it only his "butt"?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He isn't rubbing on the floor.

Wow.. He may have broken his tail!!!! Let me go see if it is swollen

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:oops: I think his tail is BROKEN!!! I put my finger on his butt and he didn't flinch but when I lightly touched his tail he jumped! It is also swollen around the base. What do I do the secure it until I could get him to the vet??

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Could be his anal glands.My peke had a spot that was swollen years ago, looked like his butt, and I decided to wait till the next day to take him to the vet, only that evening he came running through the house literally screaming as loud as he could. It had burst. The vet at Banfield said that the snsl glands getting clogged is prolly one of the most painful experiences for a dog. My dogs had clogged, then burst. He was so hairy(long coat) that we couldnt tell until it was too late. We gave him a bath and noticed the swelling, and him wanting to keep his tail between the legs.

If you do take him to the vet and it is his anal glands, check into having it removed, because I have been told, once a problem with the anal glands, always a problem. I guess once they experience a problem, they are more susceptible to having more problems.

Good luck, and I hope whatever it is goes away. Poor doggy!But it is something that happens.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
i would suggest crating choppy for the day and keeping him as quiet as possible until you can get him to the vet tomorrow, unless you want to take him to an emerg. today? if he has been eating, drinkin and poopin for the last two days tho i would probably wait till first thing tomorrow morning, emerg clinics are freakin expensive!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it is his anal gland would he be acting like this? He isn;t rubbing and he doesn't lift his tail too much. It is in the shape of a downwards arc..

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If it were his anal gland, and it was swollen to the point that you see swelling, he is not gonna rub it on the floor, it is too sore right now. It is past the point of him releiving it himself.

It may very well be his tail though.

I would crate him as well, keep him calm till tomorrow. Because if it is his tail, movement creates bloodflow and that in turn hurts his tail more, even if it is anal sac, same thing movement gets the blood flowing, increasing swelling.

Let us know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks.. I already gave him his favorite pig ear...Then he asked me. "Mommy, how are the piggies supposed to hear without their ears? He's so goofy!!

Yes he is eating. I'm gonna wait until his daddy gets home to see what we could do.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Has he been swimming lately?? If so could be cold water tail. My Jazzy suffered from this once last year.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope. He was a Grandpa's for a week but I don't think he was swimmin' (although he loves it) I picked him up on Thurs and he was fine. He started this on Sat. I am trying to figure out if I saw him hurt himself. He has been pooping just fine. He actually pooped 4 xs yeaterday and once today. I am puzzled and he is soooooooo down

·
Registered
123 Posts
best wishes

trouble and i send our best wishes.... trouble himself has a "wicked" tail -- doubles as a weapon when he wags it ferociously...

hope he feels much better....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: best wishes

teambrandt said:
trouble and i send our best wishes.... trouble himself has a "wicked" tail -- doubles as a weapon when he wags it ferociously...

hope he feels much better....
Chpppy too!!! He get excited and wacks everything in sight..... His Grandpa has a boxer who has had quite a few black eyes because of Choppy

BTW - Cute dog!! There are some really nice pups on this forum!!!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Could be just an inflamation at the tail base. I think dogs can take Ibuprofen? (advil) I would give him a few days and if it doesn't improve take him in. Try to restict him as much as you can as far as exercise goes for those few days. (I know easier said than done!)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts