Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our pound dog that we have had for about three months has started getting rally sick. Over the last three days she has not been able t keep anything down.

The vet said there could be an obstruction from a plastic toy she was chewing on. The piece missing was about the size of a dime. She will also eat any crud she finds on the driveway like smushed frogs.

Is this something from her changing diet? She eats premium dog food now as opposed to science diet and who knows what when she was a stray.

Or could this really be something that could lead to surgery? (like the vet said)

She also still has her huge appetite.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I can't believe the vet would suggest it might be an obstruction and not tell you to come in right away for an xray. Even if the vet didn't tell you that I would get one ASAP!!!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
bearsmom said:
I can't believe the vet would suggest it might be an obstruction and not tell you to come in right away for an xray. Even if the vet didn't tell you that I would get one ASAP!!!
I agree!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
If you think it could be an obstruction, don't wait! My boy nearly lost a piece of his colon from an obstruction. The vet said if I had waited just one more day part of his colon would have been unsavable. Better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
slid3r said:
They didn't say anything about X-Rays, just surgery.

Hmmm $$$$$$
They should be able to feel around first to see if they can feel an obstruction. With Chopper, they felt it right away. Then did Xrays to be sure. I doubt they'd cut into your dog without doing any tests. But then again.... :?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Maybe you need to get another opinion by a different vet! It could be parvo in which case your dog might need to be hospitilized. It could be an obstruction and in that case every MINUTE counts in clearing it.

·
Super Moderator
16,005 Posts
If she has been having this problem for three days or more it is time to take her
to the vet. Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It makes me wonder, too, if you're feeding her too much which is why she's throwing up. But we can sit and speculate all we want, the only one to make the diagnosis at all is a good veterinarian, in person!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
msvette2u said:
It makes me wonder, too, if you're feeding her too much which is why she's throwing up. But we can sit and speculate all we want, the only one to make the diagnosis at all is a good veterinarian, in person!
Exactly!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She will soon spend the next 7 days at the vet/kennel where she will hopefully be better by the time she gets back.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
slid3r said:
She will soon spend the next 7 days at the vet/kennel where she will hopefully be better by the time she gets back.
I don't think you are seeing the possible seriousness in what you are telling us is her symptoms. Maybe it's the overprotective me but I wouldn't be waiting to drop her off for a kennel stay. I think seriously if it's gone on for a couple days now a vet visit is way more appropriate to specifically look at the trouble she's having. And the sooner the better. $$$$ or no $$$$ you have a responsibility to make sure she is well.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The place where she will be staying is the vet, so she will be looked at again tomorrow when we drop her off. This way if she needs an operation it can be done and she will be back to normal when we pick her up. She was at the vet Saturday too where they said it was just a stomach virus which she gots meds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts