Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't mind the vent that comes along w/ this question...

Sam has been an absolute spaz today! Now in her defense we spent fri-mon going from Yale Mi to Flemingsburg Ky and back so she had lot's of down time. Also we're having some 'issues' w/ her incision site from the un-neccessary spaying she recieved last week so that's kept her activity level down... For some reason today I have NOT been able to keep her out of the garbage and I've had a heck of a time getting her to stop taking food out of the kids hands! What do I do to make sure she know's this is unacceptable? She used to sneak to do this stuff - now she'll just out and do it even while we are standing there and ignore us when we tell her NO, or yell at her. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
14,603 Posts
Well, to begin with, she sounds like she is hungry. Could she be on some meds that have increased her appetite? Could she be reaching a stage where she needs her food amount increased? How old is she, how much does she weigh and what is the amount that she is fed daily? Also, if she has not been well over the weekend she may not have been eating as much and today it caught up with her. Not that this is an excuse for her behavior but at least a valid reason. Behavior training is what you will need to work with her on. Placing a treat on the coffee table and telling her to sit and stay. Never let her take the treat from the table, but pick it up and give it to her when she has done what you want. Have your child stand near her with a piece of sandwhich and tell her to sit and stay. Have your child eat the piece and then walk away, indicating to your dog that there is no more. Tell your dog she is a good dog with lots of enthusiasim but do not give her a treat. You do not want to teach her that she will always get a treat for good behavior. You want to teach her that being good is her reward. Also make sure that your daughter is not sneaking her pieces of food when she is eating. As far as the garbage can goes, I would pepper spray it or apple spray it to make it dis-tasteful to her. Keep this up so that she associates bad taste with the garbage can. These are just some of my ideas, I am sure others here have some more ideas to share that will be helpful. :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I did get a clue finally this afternoon (can u say DOH!) that she might be hungry stil when I caught her trying to eat through my dd's lunch box to get to some old cheese :roll: l.. Up till now she's been 'eh' about her cup and half of food. She would eat a bit then go till the next day before eating again... Perhaps now she's just decided that she would like to eat her RX 3 cups a day? Sam now weighs about 40 lbs and is approx. 7/9 mos (that's a guesstamation). Thanks for ur response and I am SO going to be working w/ her on her behavior, also gonna look into getting her enrolled in a different trainer soon as schedules become more concrete around here...

·
Super Moderator
14,603 Posts
She has probably hit a growth spurt and needs more. Clara weighs 43 lbs, is
two years old and eats between 2 - 3 cups of food per day depending on how
much she has burned off. She has stabled out but your pup is needing fuel for
bone and muscle growth so will probably take the 3 cups.
:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.