1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to finding a obedience trainer for Orson and we start
next week.
He obeys well and knows commands/tricks but i thought it would be
good to go to a professional to help him MASTER everything.
Also need to get a hold of his dog aggression when we are on walks, he is getting too strong for me to hold back and im afraid he might get away from me one day.

Best lesson i learned today at consultation was his choke collar too loose.
Tighted collar up and the trainer brought in another dog, with just a few
intense corrections, Orson wouldnt even LOOK :shock: at the
other dog (a pit).
That made me very excited!

If I can get his dog aggression under control, i really want to go further with his training...like get his good citizen certificate and do agility or something. Trainer said he is really smart and can go very far in his training!
:D

I would now recommend formal training for any dog, i think it will be
very productive and i wish i had done this sooner!

·
Registered
94 Posts
How old is Orson? Did you do basic training yourself? I took Riley to puppy kindergarten to get the basics down. I use both a corrective collar and treats. He has most of the basics down, although we are still working on "come"
I was wondering at what age to bring him back for more obedience training. My trainer said to kepp working with him until he is about 1 year old and then bring him back for more training.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Vibesgirl said:
How old is Orson? Did you do basic training yourself? I took Riley to puppy kindergarten to get the basics down. I use both a corrective collar and treats. He has most of the basics down, although we are still working on "come"
I was wondering at what age to bring him back for more obedience training. My trainer said to kepp working with him until he is about 1 year old and then bring him back for more training.
I practice obedience everyday with both of my dogs for at least 10-15 minutes(split up throughout the day) They are never too old or young to start learning! :D

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I practice obedience everyday with both of my dogs for at least 10-15 minutes(split up throughout the day)
That is what our new trainer said to do also!

Orson is 17months old and I did all his training myself.
He knows all the basics and lots of tricks, just want to get
him where he can do all the basics every time,even with distractions.
As soon as Orson finishes this "puppy basic obedience" classes, i will
put him in the next higher classes. Gonna take his training as far
as he can go!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think you'll like it! I start tomorrow with Celeste - after a 9 year hiatus! I'm gonna be so rusty! :lol:

Keep in mind though, when doing formal obedience classes, new trainers often get frustrated...even though you're there to train your dog, you're being trained yourself to handle the dog in a tried-and-true fashion...

...obviously, if a certain technique isn't working for your dog, you need to reconsider it...and a good trainer will help you figure things out...otherwise, relax and enjoy!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
OrsonDogge said:
I practice obedience everyday with both of my dogs for at least 10-15 minutes(split up throughout the day)
That is what our new trainer said to do also!

Orson is 17months old and I did all his training myself.
He knows all the basics and lots of tricks, just want to get
him where he can do all the basics every time,even with distractions.
As soon as Orson finishes this "puppy basic obedience" classes, i will
put him in the next higher classes. Gonna take his training as far
as he can go!
Orson will go far! If you've already taught him the basics and tricks. All now you just need to add in the distractions while doing the basics. He's a smart boy he'll catch on very fast! And you'll have him struttin' down the street on walks past barking dogs with out a single look from him in no time! :D

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And you'll have him struttin' down the street on walks past barking dogs with out a single look from him in no time!
That will make me think i've died and gone to heaven!!!! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts