Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

What age did your puppy have her first heat?

• Never- she was spayed!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Under 6 months

• 6 months

• 7 months

• 8 months

• 9 months

• 10 months

• 11 months

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is 6 months old. She is set to be spayed in two weeks, but her nipples recently got a lot bigger and I was wondering if she could be having a silent heat? There is no blood or discharge or anything. She hasn't been around any male dogs since she was 3 months old, so I know she's not prego. I was going to breed her but was talked out of it, but now I'm worried that I'll have to move her appointment. How can I tell if she's in the first stages of heat, or a silent heat? Can I still get her spayed if she IS in heat?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
She can still be spayed while in heat. They will prbly charge a little more because it is a little bit messy! Just be careful to keep her away from male dogs even after she is spayed if she is in fact in heat!!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh that's good. So how do I know if she's in heat? Maybe it's silent, maybe I'm missing the signs, maybe I'm imagining it, but she's of the age to have her first and her nipples got bigger. If she's in heat, I won't leave her outside any more. The neighbors have a friggin stupid dalmation that can jump over the fence, even though its 6 feet tall. I would shoot myself in the foot if he got her prego!! I leave her outside when I'm at work, otherwise she pees all over my house, but I haven't since I noticed her nips getting bigger. Just wondering if there's any way to tell. I'd take her over there and judge by his reaction, but believe it or not, my 6-month, 40-lb pit can drag me anywhere she wants! She's a brat. So if she wanted him, she'd have him. :bootyshake: But someone please tell me, how can I tell if she's in heat?

Wait- are you telling me she can still get prego after she is spayed, if she's in heat??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The poll above- There was supposed to be another option, 12+ months, that I guess I never submitted? Anyway, just pretend the last option says 11+ months :D woops...

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
meo62 said:
I leave her outside when I'm at work, otherwise she pees all over my house
To help with this have you tried a crate? I wouldnt be able to have Kate without a crate!

As for signs.... I have no clue! But if you could maybe squeeze in a vet appointment this week to calm your nerves a little and make sure 100%

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Darn it!! I put 7 months but she will never go in to heat I am her spayed this month. Sorry that I messed up your poll :oops:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Dogs can have thier first cycle as early as 5 months and as late as 17 months..most of my girls haven't had thier first heat until 13-15 months. Keep your appointment...she can be spayed in heat..it's just a bit extra. If you are unsure, talk to your vet and see about changing your appointment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi!

I have 10 months old AB girl and she did't have her first heat yet, but she is acting very strange for a month or so (she wants to be outside all the time, outside-she is just looking for doggy friends(wants to play so she pulls me around), don't listen to me like she used to,...looks like full moon is having the influence on her. Cause i had male doggs before, this is all new to me and i really don't know, when she'll be in heat or if i'll see or recognize it?! First time that i heard about silent heat?! Is this real? Thanks for any advice...

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
When females go into heat their vulva swells and they have discharge which can be straw colored at times along with eventually the blood.With some it is not as noticeable as with others and also some females are much cleaner about it.

The youngest I had on go in was 5 months my others were between 6-8 months

Just be careful to keep her away from male dogs even after she is spayed if she is in fact in heat!!!!!
once a female is spayed, she can not get pregnant whether or not they were in heat at the time of the spay is not a factor

Until she is spayed however even if you even think she might be and aren't sure do not let her out unattended and keep all males away

·
Registered
310 Posts
my one female had a silent heat at 1 year and then did not have her first one until she 18 months old. My other pup just had her first at a year. I am lucky enough that both are going through heat at the same time right now. At least I get it over with all at once.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
i have an akita mix that i got off the streets when she was 5 months old and we hesistated putting her under for spay because we thought she might already be spayed cause at 8 months she still hadnt come into heat and she kinda looked like she had a light scar on her tummy but when she was about 13 months old she came into heat and my idiot father put her outside unsupervised and a male neighbor dog got her...didnt wait to see if it took we just got her spayed immediately!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts