Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your dog is obidient and can follow out the above commands please explain how you achieved this goal :) esp. the recall.

Also if you can get your dog to lay, where he/she is without moving again till you say, please explain your methods here.

Gettin Roxy to stay in a lay position for more then a second is something I really need to work on!

Things which I have been taught so far.

1, training is 95% reward 5% command
2, do not repeat a command! correct the dog if they do not respnsed. ie. u ask the dog to sit.. they don't ...so you must put them in the sit position...
3, A perfect stay is built up, u start with a second in stay position then build it up to a few more seconds etc, try not to be facing the dog when u give this command, as this will help for getting the dog to stay wherever they are in future training.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Very good topic. I am interested in getting into some serious training with my girl soon.
We are avid campers and I really want her to be a "happy camper" this summer, and a joy to have around for others.
I am very interested in getting some , detailed training tips from others.
Julie

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Well, Odie and I are still working laying down and staying at a distance, but he'll sit and stay at a distance. I really enforce the stay command more than any of the others. Odie learned "down" after learning "stay", which made things alot easier I think. He already knew what "stay" was, so I can give him the "down" command, reward with a treat, and then give the "stay" command and he won't move. At a distance, I give him the "stay" command, then the "down" command and he'll do it. Basically, I think it's very helpful if your dog knows the "stay" command really well before anything else. It makes all the stay-combination commands so much easier. And of course, when teaching the stay command, always come back to them to reward, otherwise they think they're being rewarded for coming to you (which defeats the purpose of teaching stay). Also, my trainer advises to put your hand genltly over their shoulder blades when they lay down so they can't pop back up.

For recall, treats work really well with both of my dogs. For the recall, my trainer advises to try and walk away from them, on the long lead, without using the "stay" command first. This is so the dog concentrates on only one command at a time. In basic training, she says that giving one command and then another will not inforce the first command because they're not being rewarded for it. In class, I would usually have to have someone distract my dogs while I walked away just to get some distance between us. She would try to distract the dog just by getting his/her attention, and not by holding them back while I walked away. With Odie, since he knows "stay" so well now, I can give him that command without reward, and then give him the "come" command. I still reward him with treats when he "comes" to enforce it.

Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
412 Posts
O man Spanky is all about the treats.

He first learned sit ( We kept the treat in our hand and pushed down on his butt saying sit over and over again) Worked on this every time he came in from outside.

We did shake (Again treat in hand we would say shake many times but we had to lift up on his paw for about a week. Then we went to saying shake and just tapping his paw. Than he did it on his own it took time but with lots of prais and that good ol trat he got it.

Lay we would start with sit (which he already knew by this time) and say lay over and over (We had to slowly gently pull his front paws out from under him so he would know what we wanted this again took a lil while but this time we would put the treat in are hand but close fisted on the floor out in front of him and say laydown ........ Than one day he did it on his own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We used realy excited voices to give praise and he got the treat even if we had to help him now we are working on shooting at him like a gun and we want him to fall and play dead.
We haven't started this one yet.

We also made sure he had the first one down before we moved on.

Also getting him to stay in the lay position. If he got up we would just start over picking him up or pushing him back and saying laydown and pulling paws out than putting our hand palm down as if to say stay and he wouldn't get the treat if he didnt stay for at least a few seconds

Treats in our case worked great we would just cut it into little pieces if we wanted to do the practice more than once so he wasn't getting a ton of whole treats

Hope this helps I ll try and post Spanky's tricks in a video

·
Registered
412 Posts
Once they realize and associate the treat with Doing somthing momma likes or Daddy likes they wanna please you yes but mostly they want that treat.
It's all about what do I have to do to get that treat so we only give treats when a trick is completed or he goes out to pee or uses his puppy pads.

Also make sure your saying and doing the same technics each time

Another thing I thought of is we noticed Spanky was no good when he was hyper or just got done playing or just ready to play catch your Roxy when she is relaxed and mellow than she will be more focused

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeh, we are getting better at lay n stay. First I did it with the leash, so I cud stand on her leash and get her to lay for 2 secs, also had a treat on the floor in front of her (she knows sit/stay when it comes to find time so this helped)

I can now get her to lay/stay for 12 sec! next I will try one step forward when she is lying, hopefully this will build up to me getting her to lay/saty wherever she is.

*Kisses Roxy*

·
Registered
412 Posts
Our trainer suggested to use "uh uh" in a growly voice when he didnt do the command we wanted, to pause, and then repeat it. She even suggested giving him a real mean "big eyebrows" face . . . Im still amazed at how well that works. I found that the treat that worked best when training brodie was cheddar cheese. He will do ANYTHING for some cheese. It wasnt too hard to teach him to lay down and "stay" we just made it longer and longer between giving him the reward and the command.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zippitydodaa said:
Our trainer suggested to use "uh uh" in a growly voice when he didnt do the command we wanted, to pause, and then repeat it. She even suggested giving him a real mean "big eyebrows" face . . . Im still amazed at how well that works. I found that the treat that worked best when training brodie was cheddar cheese. He will do ANYTHING for some cheese. It wasnt too hard to teach him to lay down and "stay" we just made it longer and longer between giving him the reward and the command.
I use that when I'm asking her do something like...when she goes to pick up a bit of food jamie drops or to get her of the sofa etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts