Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My is not eat his normal amount of food, not even a half a cup a day for the last couple of days. He acts hungry though so i do not understand. He is on Science diet regular puppy, and he is a 60 pound one year old APBT.

Also he is shedding a lot more than normal, i dont brush him regularly, but i dont think that is the problem. He had a stint with fleas, but since then i think i have gotten that under control and now he is still chewin on his skin. I got rid of the fleas using frontline and baths (bathing him with flea killer, then dog shampoo, then putting on frontline). There are some spots left over that still itch him from when he had fleas.

Has anyone had something like this with their pup, could he be shedding more than normal because he isnt eating enough?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Our neighbor has an AB, Crash, and he had fleas really bad this summer. They bombed the house, outside and gave him the flea pill. They thought he just had sensitive skin because he is white, but it turns out he had a skin infection from scratching at the fleas. Even after they were gone he still tore himself up.

They got steroids and antibiotics and he's fine now, check with the vet they know best...

You can see how red he was at one point, I felt so bad for him :(

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you hit the nail on the head, i am taking him to my vet tomorow after work, i just got him to eat, turns out he only will eat after i give him the "take it" command, i didnt teach him that for his bowl, but whatever. I am starting to hand feed him now anyway. That is a relief though, i thought he didnt like his food anymore.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Benadryl takes the itch away, which would help. I know every dog is different and this might not even be the same scenario, but Crash was given Benadryl out the wazoo and it wasn't doing anything. The infection was so bad he was making himself sick. If it's an infection, which the vet would be able to tell right away, Benadryl will not take it away.

(BTW, Crash is from Bentley x Mercedes, isn't he handsome??)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LoveMy3ABs said:
Benadryl takes the itch away, which would help. I know every dog is different and this might not even be the same scenario, but Crash was given Benadryl out the wazoo and it wasn't doing anything. The infection was so bad he was making himself sick. If it's an infection, which the vet would be able to tell right away, Benadryl will not take it away.

(BTW, Crash is from Bentley x Mercedes, isn't he handsome??)
Yeah that boy looks good, i like the bully ABs the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts