Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive tried looking for an answer everywhere and found this forum and trying my luck to see if any other members have seen this. I was deployed for a year and while I was gone my 6 year old english bulldog developed what looks like scabs all over his body. Hes been to vet plenty of times while i was gone and they cant figure out what it is. They gave us medicated shampoo, antibiotics, and steroid shots to help with his itching but his condtiion doesnt get better. Has anybody had this happen to their bulldog? I switched him over to grain free food and raw fish food to see if maybe it helps out. The food he is currently on now is a mixtuer of Orijen 6 fish dry food and Primal chicken pronto raw food. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
16,022 Posts
Hi macasta2 - I am so sorry your dog is having these issues. Bulldogs do have sensitive skin. I see that you are feeding him chicken and that could be the culprit. Many dogs are allergic to chicken.
Another culprit is grass and dirt from your yard. Another is that bulldogs have protective oils on their skin. Over shampooing washes off the oils and opens their skin to all types of issues. We only bathed our dog twice a year with a very gentle shampoo and the used a conditioner. When ever it would rain and she went out in it we would towel her down and laughing say she just had her bath. From time to time we would wipe her down with a wash cloth to clean up her fur which did not remove her oils. She never took on a doggie odor. We fed her Lamb and Rice for sensitive skin kibble and was careful about the treats we gave her. Hopefully these reccomendations will help. Please let us know how he is doing. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi macasta2 - I am so sorry your dog is having these issues. Bulldogs do have sensitive skin. I see that you are feeding him chicken and that could be the culprit. Many dogs are allergic to chicken.
Another culprit is grass and dirt from your yard. Another is that bulldogs have protective oils on their skin. Over shampooing washes off the oils and opens their skin to all types of issues. We only bathed our dog twice a year with a very gentle shampoo and the used a conditioner. When ever it would rain and she went out in it we would towel her down and laughing say she just had her bath. From time to time we would wipe her down with a wash cloth to clean up her fur which did not remove her oils. She never took on a doggie odor. We fed her Lamb and Rice for sensitive skin kibble and was careful about the treats we gave her. Hopefully these reccomendations will help. Please let us know how he is doing. Good luck. :)
Thank you for the suggestions!!! I only recently started feeding him the raw chicken chunks along with the grain free dog food to see if maybe he had developed an allergy to grain and wanted to give it a try. Right now he gets a bath once a week with the medicated shampoo that the vet gave us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts