Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 2.5 yo male ab...he's registered aba, was told when purchased from breeder he was 100% johnson....had his pedigree reviewed and was told hes not full johnson....A. could someone look at this pedigree and give me another opionion....also the food hes on now was graded on that scale at 107 which tells me its a good food...however hes got some of the spots others have posted and were told they are allergies...one of the ingredients in his food is wheat....should i continue to feed this food?? if not any suggestions on another brand i could transition to?? i would like something high in protein because hes only 86 bls and i would like to beef him up a bit...any suggestions....

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I would try to avoid foods with wheat in them. I've heard of alot of dogs having problems with that. There are so many good foods out there. If you look on the food rating post, it will tell you which ones are the best. I feed DVP duck and potato and have been very satisfied with the product. My dog has allergies so that is why I switched to it. My other dog with no allergies does really well on it too.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
What do you mean you think your AB is small at 86#? That's not small. Also, your dog is only going to get as big as his genetics will allow. By trying to "bulk him up" the only thing you will probably do is make him fat. Don't worry about how big he is, its really not all that important and whether he is "100% Johnson" isn't important either. Just enjoy your dog.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Lisa said:
What do you mean you think your AB is small at 86#? That's not small. Also, your dog is only going to get as big as his genetics will allow. By trying to "bulk him up" the only thing you will probably do is make him fat. Don't worry about how big he is, its really not all that important and whether he is "100% Johnson" isn't important either. Just enjoy your dog.
Yeah, exactly. 86 pounds is right in line with the standards.

You're better off keeping him light anyway for health reasons (hips, joints, etc). "Bulking him up" is something you want to do for your benefit, not the dog's. Get your priorities straight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
priorities are definitely in order...right in line with standard for what?? standard ab?? for a standard ab yeah your right..if you would of read the message you would of noticed that i stated he is "suppose" to be a johnson bulldog...anyone who knows anything about the bully specifically an AB KNOWS that 86 lbs is not in line for weight of a johnson bulldog....if someone would like to see the pedigree or pictures let me know and ill send em......

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
ABA standard:

Size: General: Males - 23 to 27 inches at the withers and weigh from 75 to 120 lbs. Females - 21 to 25 inches at the withers, 60 to 90 lbs. The weight should be proportional to size.
[Standard-type: an ideal male should be 23 to 27 inches at the withers and/ weigh from 75 to 110 lbs., females, 21 to 25 inches, 60 to 85 lbs. The weight should be proportional to size.]
Johnson-type: an ideal male should be 22 to 26 inches at the withers and weigh from 80 to 120 lbs. Females 20 to 24 inches, 60 to 90 lbs
ABNA standard

Size-General: Males should range from 22 to 28 inches at the withers and weigh between 70 and 120 pounds. Females should range from 20 to 26 inches at the withers and weigh between 60 and 100 pounds. Weight should be proportional to height and body type. A dog should be well conditioned and not overweight or underweight.
Standard: A leaner and more athletic dog in appearance.
Classic: A larger and more powerful dog in appearance.
NKC standard

Bully Type: Ideal bully males should measure between 23 to 27 inches at the withers and weigh 80 to 125 pounds. Females; 22-26 inches 60 to 105 pounds.
UKC standard (only one type)

Desirable height in a mature male ranges from 22 to 27 inches; in a mature female, from 20 to 25 inches. Desirable weight in a mature male ranges from 75 to 125 pounds;
Your dog is within the breed standards. Quit worrying about how big he is, he is what he is. Size isn't everything, and bigger doesn't mean better. A Johnson dog need not be a #120 monster.

How about posting some pics of your dog?

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
post some pics and send me the ped. i would be interested in seeing it. the current trend in the johnson world is to be extreme and breeders, we ain't sayin who, are adding in oldies and eb's to get that look. this is making the johnson dogs smaller and smaller. yes your dog is on the low side of the standard but he still has 1 1/2 years to grow, so it is highly doubtfull that he has reached his mature weight or size. lisa is right, bulking him up is NOT the thing to do. making a dog fatter does not make him more impressive nor is it healthy for him. feeding a high protein diet to a dog that isn't working is not healthy either. i am not saying you don't work your dog, i don't know cause you don't say, so don't take it that way.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
86 lbs isn't too small even for a Johnson. Personally I think that is a great size. It does suck though if you were lied to about him being all Johnson if thats what you wanted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pictures

just posted some recent pictures of him....he looks bigger in the pics than what he really is but oh well....let me know what ya think...i will send the pedigree in private message or email if you would like to see it.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Nadster, that is one beautiful AB. He is perfect for his size. I actually prefer ABs around that size. Hes nice and solid.

Bellablue, that boy is awesome looking. I cant wait to see more pics. I love pits and ABs that are brown and white.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
kogeki said:
Bellablue, that boy is awesome looking. I cant wait to see more pics. I love pits and ABs that are brown and white.
Thanks! I can't wait to post more pics! :) I, too, love brown and white pits and ABs. They have such clean looking, intentional markings...if that makes any sense!!

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
he is a beautiful boy and looks to be a good size but he is most certainly not a 100% johnson dog. i would say hybrid and a good looking one too. can i ask what his bite is?

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Re: bite

nadster01 said:
not sure what you mean by his bite?
by bite i mean , how far, if at all, do his bottom teeth stick out past his top teeth?
is there a fair bit of a gap (1/4 inch) or are his top teeth and bottom teeth almost touching (bottom teeth on the outside) or do they meet ?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.