Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...the husband purchased an AB based on the description that they didn't need much space, loved leaning/laying on people. Thus far, Atticus has been fine...he poops, he pees in his yard, and we take him to the beach, park, hikes, walks, funs. However...I haven't found a toy that can withstand his massive man jaws!!! He loves loves loves stuffed animals, but he likes to puncture them and pull the stuffing out.

Any suggestions on toys for a teeny tiny yard and/or at home during the day and/or normal toys? Thanks and big Atticus kisses!!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Cinder said:
So...the husband purchased an AB based on the description that they didn't need much space, loved leaning/laying on people. Thus far, Atticus has been fine...he poops, he pees in his yard, and we take him to the beach, park, hikes, walks, funs. However...I haven't found a toy that can withstand his massive man jaws!!! He loves loves loves stuffed animals, but he likes to puncture them and pull the stuffing out.

Any suggestions on toys for a teeny tiny yard and/or at home during the day and/or normal toys? Thanks and big Atticus kisses!!!
Kongs, kongs, and more kongs!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
wow, someone lied to your husband!!

lol

but I'm in the same situation, I live in a one bedroom apartment with Kate that doesn't have much open space. I take her on two walks a day and each walk is at least a mile. She is very calm throughout the rest of the day. I think it sort of has to do with age also.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know, I think he did a google search on large breeds that are good in apartments, and AB's came up! I guess it described them as being very big lugs who want nothing more than to be by their owner. And that they require about a mile a day.

Don't worry, he's getting good exercise...I was laughing while cooking last night, watching my husband and Atticus run back and forth like idiots in the driveway.

He LOVES the dog park, so that's good.

He HATES Kongs...it's weird. He's got all kinds of hard toys that he won't touch. Balls that even barf food out at him if he rolls it. Hates them. Wants to love and cuddle and pull the stuffing out of stuffed animals! Weird.

I'll try that ball you have for CC.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
ABs tear up EVERYTHING!
My wife bought this cool toy for Bub last night. It had a stuffed ball connected to a rope. really well put together tug toy. She said "you like Bubba's new toy...it's the best one they had"
Told her I give it 15 minutes till we're pulling stuffing out of his mouth. Sure enough, I look over and shark dog has his head thrashing back and forth and there it goes. What starts out as a small slim hole ends up like Mt. Everest.

Time? 8 minutes and about 37 seconds.

Yes another toy for the Glad trashbag.

I'm thinking about getting him some bricks. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
kongs...

With kongs, you gotta stuff them with treats. Potato used to not touch them at all... last week everyday I have her the same kong stuffed with either wet food or peanut butter (washing it off at the end of hte night) and now she'll walk up to me WITH the kong in her mouth as if waiting for me to fill it back up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Kongs

It's funny, I bought a Kong last week and Riley isn't thrilled with it either! I filled it with peanut butter, small snacks etc. Once he gets the treat out, he's done with it. He doesn't chew it or chase after it. He also prefers stuffed animals as toys right now. Loves playing tug of war, fetch (will fetch a stuffed animal before a ball or frisbee) and rip apart his monkey time! I am wondering if it is an age thing, he is only 4 1/2 months old.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How hilarious. The lady at our local dog wash guaranteed she would find toys at the next convention that Atticus wouldn't chew up. I told her to bring it on.

I came home from work today and he had gotten into the trash. I realized how powerful his jaws truly are. He had taken an 18oz can and completely flattened it in two. Beer bottle tops? Probably 7 small puncture holes in it. He didn't eat anything, just tore the holy hell out of EVERYTHING. I sware, I can't keep up with him.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Chopper will tear apart anything he can get his mouth on! Baskets....gone! Straw hats.....gone! plastic shopping bags.......gone (torn apart, though not eaten)! Phone book.....gone! candles....gone! pizza boxes..........gone! He steals these out of the garage & loves flipping them around the yard.

Shoes........SAFE!! He doesn't bother them.

Stuffed animals.........same as yours.....flips thems, chews them, plays tug of war with them. I have to cut out the eyes, he'll chew on any "hard" spot until he can get the stuffing out. Then he'll start eating the stuffing. Good thing I have some sewing ability. I have "carpet & rug" thread & usually end up sewing up the holes & then giving them back to him until the next time.

The "best" stuffed animal I found for him was a teddy bear at our local Dollar store. This bear doesn't have a lot of stuffing in it. It's fur is fabric that has silky thread like fur that's about 1 inch long. It's really soft, not hard at all. I cut off the bow & cut out both eyes & sewed them shut. It's the only stuffed animal that he hasn't destroyed. I think it's because the small amount of stuffing and the fabric is a "loose" weave. When he chews or bites on it, his teeth go straight through it. My husband likes to put it's legs under Chopper's collar (piggy back style). It's hilarious to watch him try & get it off. Hubby does a lot bicycling (25 miles/day) & uses a protein choc. flavored drink called Endurox. We buy these HUGE jugs of them (powder). Well Chopper is so high energy he doesn't need any Endurox to rebuild his muscles. One day he got a hold of the empty Endurox plastic jug, about 1 gallon size, the lid was off in about 15 mins & he had it "destroyed" an hour later.

The next "best" toy......empty Ragu jar, 2 lb. 13 oz. sizeplastic with a metal top. It has an indentation on one side four hand to pick it up. The jar is large enough that he can't swallow it. Hubby put the lid on really tight. So far it's the only jar lid he hasn't been able to get off. He's had this since early July. He's 2 years old & we've only had him since Memorial Day weekend.

Hope this helps some! Enjoy your pup!

Maria

·
Registered
146 Posts
murphy did the same thing. he destroyed everything! he doesn't really like kongs, but he loves his "suspicious chicken". you can go to http://www.dogtoys.com/floppychicken.html. that is the only toy he has not destroyed. he also likes ropes and ropes with balls on the end. he also has a tire in the backyard. also, lots of exercise! he also is kennel trained. if we aren't at home, he is in the kennel! i finally broke down and kennel trained him after he destroyed our couch! they are very destructive, and just so stong! exercise is the key to keeping them happy. now murphy is 15 months and has finally stopped chewing! yours will grow out of it!

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Murphy said:
murphy did the same thing. he destroyed everything! he doesn't really like kongs, but he loves his "suspicious chicken". you can go to http://www.dogtoys.com/floppychicken.html. that is the only toy he has not destroyed. he also likes ropes and ropes with balls on the end. he also has a tire in the backyard. also, lots of exercise! he also is kennel trained. if we aren't at home, he is in the kennel! i finally broke down and kennel trained him after he destroyed our couch! they are very destructive, and just so stong! exercise is the key to keeping them happy. now murphy is 15 months and has finally stopped chewing! yours will grow out of it!

What a cute toy, and thanks for the link! It's becoming more and more obvious to me that I'm going to have to start going to websites for toys, not the pet stores.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.