Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was such an AWESOME day to train! Couldn't ask for a better day to be out there so we did all 3 phases...what a long day. I wanted to get some pics during tracking but I forgot to take my camera out and everyone was too busy with their own dogs during ob so I only managed to have one of my club members' get a few during protection.

This is the second day we have started making things a little harder on Smooch. Up until now, during her bite devopment and hold and bark training, it was the helper coming to her to initiate the bark. Now she is being asked to "bring it" a little more and go to the helper while also being expected to work under a little bit of control, which up until this point, she had been allowed to work freely. So far she is handling the control work good (I was a little worried about how it would go) but I think she could have more intensity in her barking. Hopefully it is more due to confusion, rather than her work ethic, but only more time will tell me that. She is still not 2 yet, so she has time to mature and come into her own still. She is biting full and hard most times., which is good, but I am a real fan of the hold and bark exercise, and am not partial to a weak barker especially after working with Rosco who has an excellent hold and bark (when he's not being dirty..lol).. Hopefully she will work out.

taking it into the blind...

taking home her "prize"

chilling out in the yard this morning..

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
gosh she is ssooooo pretty! She looks really good out there! I hope she comes through on her bark.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Great pics!! Always glad to see your beautiful girl. Hope her training works out for the both of you! :D

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
She just gets more beautiful with each month. Good luck with the training, the pics look great. :D

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all who have commented so far. I appreciate the compliments! :D

apbtgurl26, regarding my avatar, I sure hope Rosco showed those pearly whites to that low life who broke into our house a couple weeks ago! :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
I believe I've said it before, but I'll say it again anyway...Smooch is SO regal looking...she holds herself as if she's royalty! She looks great...hope the training continues to go well!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Lisa said:
Thanks to all who have commented so far. I appreciate the compliments! :D

apbtgurl26, regarding my avatar, I sure hope Rosco showed those pearly whites to that low life who broke into our house a couple weeks ago! :lol: :lol:
Oh yeah! If I saw a creature like him, with teeth like that, coming towards me I'd definately drop what I had and haul ass in the other direction!!! :lol:

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
She looks awesome!

Lisa,

She looks like she is headed in the right direction. I love the lady in the background with the "Whoa, look at that" expression on her face. 8)

Question though: Why do you keep her pinch on her while she is in a lunge? Does it ever puncture her skin?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: She looks awesome!

Family of 5 said:
Lisa,

She looks like she is headed in the right direction. I love the lady in the background with the "Whoa, look at that" expression on her face. 8)

Question though: Why do you keep her pinch on her while she is in a lunge? Does it ever puncture her skin?
Hi James. I guess you have forgiven me for that "Go Blue" remark? LOL

Thank you for the compliment. With the help of good helper work, Smooch is doing ok. She is not a fantastic bitch, but she is doing the work..so far.

The reason for the prong is so that when I send her in to do the hold and bark I have a way of correcting her and "keeping her clean" so to speak. What I mean by that is that the dog must guard the helper without touching them, so if they come in and touch the guy they get popped. It is also used as a means of correction for other commands I may give her during the training session...sitz, platz, fuss, whatever.

During post work when the helper is working on grips and targetting, then the dog is worked preferably on a harness or a wide leather collar. I have not had the problem of Smooch having the prongs dig in her neck but I have with Rosco, but he is a MUCH harder dog than Smooch will ever be and can take one hell of a correction (thus the reason he is not SCH I titled yet :x ) . He is probably pretty extreme that way. Most dogs, including most AB's, don't work thru that type of pain, he is an exception, rather than the rule.

I just recieved a couple short video clips of Smooch from her first session working on a prong (the session just prior to this one). I wish they were longer, but both myself and the person who sent me the videos have crappy old dialup so they can't be too long. I will upload them shortly and post them here on the forum. :D

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
HEY lisa looking good smootch is a nice looking bitch ever since i seen her in toronto at the rare breed show iv liked her ..you realy like to work your dogs and they seem to like it just as mutch ...can i ask just a general question are you working your dogs for your self or to prove your dog's for other reasons ..? ... is it more of a hobbby or do you have plains for theose guy's one day ? and no iam not implying anything ither just wondering wish there were more PET owners out there (as you said before your not intending on breeding them )wish there were more out there like you if there were BLS would not be an ishue here in ontario one more question is rosco used or going to be used as a stud? thanks

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Great Pics Lisa!! :D Smootch has really grown up!!!! She is looking superb as well. Next time we see eachother hopefully my dogs are in the same level as you. Happy Training! :)

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ALPHAMALE said:
HEY lisa looking good smootch is a nice looking b-witch ever since i seen her in toronto at the rare breed show iv liked her ..you realy like to work your dogs and they seem to like it just as mutch ...can i ask just a general question are you working your dogs for your self or to prove your dog's for other reasons ..? ... is it more of a hobbby or do you have plains for theose guy's one day ? and no iam not implying anything ither just wondering wish there were more PET owners out there (as you said before your not intending on breeding them )wish there were more out there like you if there were BLS would not be an ishue here in ontario one more question is rosco used or going to be used as a stud? thanks
I work my dogs as a fun hobby and a way to LEARN. It is amazing what you can find out about your dogs when you work them hard and demand alot from them. My dogs and I have fun going to the club and by bringing them there and asking different things of them I get to see what their strengths and weaknesses are. It's tough to learn all that stuff about your dogs when you don't do much with them. I like to KNOW what I have on my yard. I don't like to guess.

Regarding Rosco, I am not really sure what you mean by that? stud? But, I will tell you one thing......peddling puppies and stud fees do not interest me. Breeding dogs is a complicated matter and if any dog I owned was to be bred it would be for ME. I don't like to have to worry about where the pups would end up if somebody used one of my dogs...... I would find absolutely no satisfaction with studding out a dog to someone else unless that person had goals and ethics the same as mine and there are only a small handful of people I know that would fall under that category and that I could actually say I trust. The types of homes I would want for any pups I had a hand in producing, would be few and far between and I would not compromise on that.

I don't want the prestige and don't need the money that "studding out" a dog would bring. If I ever bred a dog it would be to improve or add to what I HAVE, first and formost.

PS. I almost forgot....Thanks for the compliments on Smooch! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts