Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm such a newbie when it comes to buying a dog from a breeder!

Everything I read says 'ONLY buy from a breeder that does health testing, ie: hip x-rays, etc...', but MANY breeders I talk to don't. And they seem like intelligent breeders, wanting only the best for their dogs. So what is the bottom line here? Is it OK to buy from somebody who doesn't health test? Or should I run in the other direction when I hear they don't?

·
Registered
175 Posts
A breeder can sound like whatever you want them to be on the phone. Yes, they may care about their dogs, but them being ignorant doesn't help you when you get a sick or vervy pup. All responsible breeders health test and prove their dogs. If they don't, they are not helping the breed.

·
Registered
722 Posts
asdf.0 said:
I'm such a newbie when it comes to buying a dog from a breeder!

Everything I read says 'ONLY buy from a breeder that does health testing, ie: hip x-rays, etc...', but MANY breeders I talk to don't. And they seem like intelligent breeders, wanting only the best for their dogs. So what is the bottom line here? Is it OK to buy from somebody who doesn't health test? Or should I run in the other direction when I hear they don't?
I'd run the other direction. Breeders who don't test thier dogs don't know what kind of health problems they're putting out there. If they TRULY cared about their dogs, they'd have them tested to make sure they weren't passing on anything that could contribute to the health problems associated with the breed. Breeders who don't health test don't really care about the breed, IMO... it's all about the money to them.

As a person who as bought a dog from a BYB, I would not suggest doing it. I will never do it again.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'm sorry I tend to overlook some posts, and haven't noticed.. What breed are you looking for? Are you looking to show, compete, or just a companion?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I see and I'm assuming rescue isn't an option for you? Miakoda has an OEB, she's a member here not sure where her husband got his from though.. Have you tried joining an OEB board (if there is even such a thing?) There have to be some breeders that do test their dogs, you'll just have to keep looking. That is if your determined to go that route, I don't know much at all about OEB's but I'm sure somewhere there is a responsible breeder. Maybe, maybe not.. You may even have to prepare yourself to wait on a waiting list for a year or two even sometimes.

·
Registered
722 Posts
asdf.0 said:
I'm looking for an OEB, and just for a companion. Definately no breeding, showing, or competing of any kind.
Have you gone to this website: http://www.qualitydogs.com/ to see? I know they will list breeders who test their dogs, and say what kinds of tests they do.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am not sure what your budget is for your new companion. For a tested, quality OEB you will most likely be paying between 2 and 4k. Make sure that the breeder knows up front that you are looking for a pet and not breed stock - that will affect your price but also the quality of the dog, i.e., if they are looking to introduce size into their line they might sell you a smaller boned dog as a pet once it were spayed/neutered.

There is very little testing other than hip x-rays being performed by OEB breeders at the moment. There isn't the repository of breed data out there to date to make it worthwhile. Clubs within IOEBA and some of the foreign registries (the Italian one comes to mind) are working to promote testing but it will be years before it is routine.

I would suggest looking at http://www.mybullz.com/ for some incredible dogges. My own Sarge is out of this bloodline combined with a British line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts