Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a walk tonight and all he did was pull and choke himself.When I called his name he wouldnt even look at me,when I told him to sit he wouldnt do it.Can I get him a prong at his age ( 4 months) or is he to young and if I can not get him a prong what kind of collar do I need?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I would leave the flat collar on at that age, and go back to basic OB, start in a quiet area, and then add more distractions.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here is my advice.

Find a big open field. Walk around the field. The moment he gets in front of you, turn around and go the opposite direction. He should eventually learn to pay attention to where you are going.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
jleonar said:
Here is my advice.

Find a big open field. Walk around the field. The moment he gets in front of you, turn around and go the opposite direction. He should eventually learn to pay attention to where you are going.
I agree. I would definitley try this before going to the prong collar. If you change directions enough (you have to do this often) it will teach your puppy that is has to pay attention to you when it walks. Also, make sure the pup is a little hungry and bring some food along. When he walks nicely give verbal praise and reward with the food. Eventually puppy will get the idea.

·
Registered
451 Posts
One thing I would suggest is to play the name game. You said Buster wouldn't look at you when you called his name? What you should try is call his name and as soon as he looks at you mark it with "yes" or whatever verbal command you use, and give him a treat. Try it first for the first little while at home, where there aren't as many distractions and then eventually try it outside. Another thing you can teach him is heel. I taught Boss heel and "other" (which is him heeling on my right side). I would pat my left side and tell him heel, and as soon as he gets into the heel position, mark it with "yes" and then treat "good heel."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts