Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we are always reading post on here about crate training and housebreaking issues. But I have something a little different and I wanted everyones opinions on it.

Molly is 3 1/2 months now. I'm not having an issue of her peeing when she's out of her crate. She is good in the house and will even pee on command when I take her out. I think she picked it up quick from her older brother. And we have never had a poo accident.

There is only one particular time when I have a problem. I leave for work about 7:30 and come home about 11:30 on lunch to take her out. Almost every single day she has peed in her crate during this period of time. From that time until the time I get home at 4:30 she has never had a accident. When I feed her in the morning she gets dry with some we mixed in and a very limited amount of water. She goes to the bathroom at 7:30 when I leave. Can it be the wet food? I know at night I pull up the water a 7:30 so she has 2 1/2 hrs. to pee before I go to bed.

What gets me is she will hold it at night for up to 6 - 6 1/2 hours I have gone with no problem. I will take her out at 10 then get up a 2 and take her out. Then on the weekends I will sleep til 9-9:30 and she does not have an accident.

· Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Considering that wet food is usually at least 80% water, that may be what's causing her to urinate in her crate. Is her crate too big, or does she just not mind sitting in her own urine?
I'm having a feeling its the wet food. I tried no wet food this morning. So well will see in a little while.

No her crate just fits her. I keep a crate mat in the bottom (like a coushy pillow) so when she goes on it she then rolls it up as far as she can to the side so she sits on the plastic bottom of the crate. So I think she doesn't like to sit in it. I wash the mat when she does soil it. I know, I know everyone says they can lay in there with nothing but I just feel so bad seeing her lay on hard plastic all day. Maybe I'm the fool.

· Registered
4,670 Posts
If she's bunching up her mat and sitting on the plastic most of the time anyway, you could try leaving her mat out in the morning for a few days to see if she'll urinate on the plastic. Most dogs won't. That mat absorbs all of the urine, and when she pushes it to the side, she isn't nearly as uncomfortable as she would be if she urinated on the plastic. If she's reliable with the mat in there in the afternoon, you can put it back after your lunch break. That's what I would try. :)

· Registered
1,470 Posts
I totally agree with Leeann. We had the same problem with Koda when we first got him. I felt bad & always had a towel in there for him to lay on...then we'd come home and he always would pee on it & scoot it to the back. So we decided to take it out, and ever since he's stopped :D

· Banned
800 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
If she's bunching up her mat and sitting on the plastic most of the time anyway, you could try leaving her mat out in the morning for a few days to see if she'll urinate on the plastic. Most dogs won't. That mat absorbs all of the urine, and when she pushes it to the side, she isn't nearly as uncomfortable as she would be if she urinated on the plastic. If she's reliable with the mat in there in the afternoon, you can put it back after your lunch break. That's what I would try. :)

=D>

· Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone its much appreciated. I guess I knew I should be taking the mat out. Shame on me. I know I've given that same advise to others but when it comes to doing it myself I can't explain why I have not. I will do it. And I will also see in a little while if she did it again without the wet food this morning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.