Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some more advice :D

Ok so, Boss has been doing very well with his agility. The trainer has said that he is a very athletic guy, and is going to have absolutley no trouble completing all the obstacles...HOWEVER, he is obviously very very fast, and I cannot keep up with him (he even runs across the damn dog walk). The trainer has said I need to learn to control his speed, and if I can get it under control, he'll do very well.

I'm having a problem keeping his drive under control. He gets very excited during training, and sometimes he'll do like 5-6 laps around the room before he can focus again. Anyone know how I can keep him focused on the tasks at hand? When we're doing a sequence and he's running around, he's fine, I can keep his attention. When we get to "boring" stuff, he loses interest and trots off...or gets the zoomies and won't heel until HE wants to :x Also, agility is going to be outside next session :shock: So I really need some help controlling him. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I will help you.

Walk your dog. Control his sniffing, short leash, make him follow you a 1/2 step behind. Who's the boss? Watch the dog whisperer.

exercise, discipline and affection

Dr. Jackie

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol I walk him 4-5 times per day, and trust me, I do all of those things. I cannot seem to contain his, exuberance, if you will :lol: I don't watch that show, never have, but I did read his book...and I'm still here looking for tips lol. He finds running around the room much more fun than doing the "boring" things we have to do in agility. It's pretty frustrating sometimes.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Back to basics. NILIF. Control every aspect of his play time, and do not give him the opportunity to run around like crazy. That's all I got though :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HausMommy said:
Back to basics. NILIF. Control every aspect of his play time, and do not give him the opportunity to run around like crazy. That's all I got though :)
But how do I avoid him running around when he does have the opportunity, you know? Most of the stuff we do has to be off-leash. His recalls are good at the park and obviously at home, not so good in class, though. Sometimes I have to run to get him to follow me. It's frustrating because he is on NILIF, his toys are put away where he can't get them, and I always initiate the play time. We do obedience 15-20 min a day. Depending on the day, we'll sometimes do OB twice. I don't know what else to do.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Your not the only one. Abby's been doing this a lot at agility too lately. Except for me, it's in the middle of a sequence, which is even worse! When I started doing agility classes in the beginning, Abby was on the leash the each class until I felt I could trust her off lead which was the last class and it worked. She ignored all dogs and distractions and followed right behind me when we weren't doing a sequence. I would also say, lots of praise and treats when he comes to you and is doing the right thing. The best of luck though and hope I helped. I just got this great new agility book too, so if it says anything about things like that i'll let you know.

PS- Remember I told you how to do the weave poles? Well I actually have been doing a big boo boo in training them, i've taught Abby totally backwards. The dog is suppose to enter the weaves from the left should not the right and I have to re-train Abby with this all over again. Just thought I'd let you know in case you started with the right shoulder too.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Training toys at ur side and use a command to keep him close at ur side when your running, if he learns quick he should be able to pick this up. If I need Roxys to pick up speed i use 'Up Up' (I use this when I have to climb up a slope and I need her to pull me up lol) or if I want her to walk slowly I say 'Slow'

Try running with Boss on a training leash and if his nose passes your knew correct him, but holding the training ball down low so he can't jump will keep him focused. I would do short runs with sudden stops, making him come to a sudden stop when you do, he'll keep an eye on you to see when your going to stop.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ambulldogpup said:
Your not the only one. Abby's been doing this a lot at agility too lately. Except for me, it's in the middle of a sequence, which is even worse! When I started doing agility classes in the beginning, Abby was on the leash the each class until I felt I could trust her off lead which was the last class and it worked. She ignored all dogs and distractions and followed right behind me when we weren't doing a sequence. I would also say, lots of praise and treats when he comes to you and is doing the right thing. The best of luck though and hope I helped. I just got this great new agility book too, so if it says anything about things like that i'll let you know.

PS- Remember I told you how to do the weave poles? Well I actually have been doing a big boo boo in training them, i've taught Abby totally backwards. The dog is suppose to enter the weaves from the left should not the right and I have to re-train Abby with this all over again. Just thought I'd let you know in case you started with the right shoulder too.
Actually, he hasn't even begun to "weave" yet. we've on just been working on him just going through the poles (2x2) and he gets it now (thank God :lol: )

Roxy- You know, I will try the running on the leash thing. Sounds like a good idea! He doesn't pay attention when I stop suddenly or turn suddenly while walking,though =/ He just continues to stare straight ahead, but maybe picking up the pace will work. Thanks!

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Tara<3Boss said:
ambulldogpup said:

Actually, he hasn't even begun to "weave" yet. we've on just been working on him just going through the poles (2x2) and he gets it now (thank God :lol: )

Roxy- You know, I will try the running on the leash thing. Sounds like a good idea! He doesn't pay attention when I stop suddenly or turn suddenly while walking,though =/ He just continues to stare straight ahead, but maybe picking up the pace will work. Thanks!
don't give him any warning, eye contact or say anything, try turning suddenly too. :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so we had agility outside today, it went better than I thought it would...but not great lol. Luckily it was boiling hot outside, so Boss tired himself out enough that he didn't have the urge to constantly run around. In fact, we had to stop after 45min cause he just plopped down and would not get up again :lol:

We're gonna keep working on it, and I'll have to pick up some more tasty treats. I think Lisa said she uses hot dogs. Maybe we'll try that!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts