Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who ever said dogs don't poop or pee where they sleep LIED! I take this lil shit out and he will pee and I will stay there for like 20 minutes waiting for him to poop. I take him back inside and the shit POOPS in his crate. UHHHHHHH i swear I want to frickin choke this dog. I wake up and what do I find in the cage??? POOP. :cussing: :angry5: :angry4: :boxing:

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I feel you. I went through the same thing with Chopper. He eventually outgrew it. He was a piggy. He'd lay in it....it was gross. :roll:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea he isnt :( I had him for 3 weeks and Im trying! I know it will take time but sh*t I walk him SOO MUCH! Why cant he go while were ouside? He sometimes go and others he waits until he does'nt. I say BAD DOG when he goes and he just jumps up and plays grrr. What can I do to let him know its bad?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kasco said:
I feel you. I went through the same thing with Chopper. He eventually outgrew it. He was a piggy. We'd lay in it....it was gross. :roll:
OMG so did rex! I just bathed him yesterday and he had some in his back paws and butt! Im like wtf out of the whole crate you choose to sit in the poop? Good thing I got the puppy wipes cause I will not give him another bath!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
well first question i want to ask is, is his crate big enough for him to poop and lie in a different area?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
another question where did you get him from? I fine a lot of times the only dogs that will lay in are the ones that have done so before you got them. an example is (not saying you got him here just an example this is the only way I can explain it so that it is understandable. ) I seen puppies like in a petshop where they do got in the cages and get use to it then they don't know the difference. Some breeders too don't keep the area clean enough for them to know the difference so yes they will do this and it is a little harder to train them but they will train it just takes longer
most dogs will not lay in there own waste. they will go if the crate is too big and lay in a different area. another thing is puppies usually have to go out every couple hours they cannot hold it long. So there can be a number of reasons for this.

I know they have to go out after eating, playing and sleeping usually right after all of these even if you just took them out.
I hope this helps

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes his crate is big enough for him to lay in another spot. I got him from someone dh knows. He was out and about never in a crate so that cant be it. . I just got his crate Thursday before then he would go on newspaper and he was doing great. I have a small travling crate but thats just too small. As soon as he poops he starst barking like cray so I can come clean it up. I will post a picture of him inside his crate so u can tell me if its too big or not.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
When people say dogs won't mess where they sleep that is just generally speaking. Most won't, but some will. Some dogs are just cleaner than others and there is nothing training wise we can do to change that except for mabye trying to let the dirty dogs out a little more often to help prevent some of the accidents.

Rosco has always been an extremely clean dog. I can only remember him going in his crate twice. The first time it was just pee and it was the second night we had him. I was working afternoon shift and my hubby midnights. I had a big crate but had sectioned off half of it with a rubbermaid container at the back. Hubby went to work and I came home about 2 hours later to find that Rosco had climbed up on top of that rubbermaid container and peed on the lid!!! What a smart puppy! He had to go but didn't want to lay in the mess. The second time he messed in the crate it was poop but it was my fault because I had read somewhere that brewers yeast was good for dog so I gave him some. Well, that surely didn't agree with him!! :-& Those were the only 2 epidosdes in 5 years of having him.

Smooch on the other hand is not so clean. She had pee in the crate when I picked her up at the airport and she continued to mess in her crate on a regular basis until she was a year old or so. Mostly pee but a few times poop. She hasn't done it lately, and gradually it as gotten better and better with her, she is now 18 months old.

Just be patient, things *should* get better.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
What are you feeding him? Nala didn't poop where she slept until I gave her some moist dog food. I don't think she could hold it. She hasn't had accidents (yet) when she eats dry food though.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I hope things get better Shay!! I never had this prob with Zack. He never went in his crate. He would pee on the floor as soon as I would bring him in, but never in his crate. I would bring a treat out with me and as soon as he would pee or poo, I would give him a treat!! It worked for us. Remember his bladder is still very small and he does not have full control of it yet!! Hang in there, it will get better!!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
You need to make his crate smaller,section it off and most pet places have these that you can buy to section off.
Secondly you need a daily routine for him such as wake up he goes outside,after eating outside after playing outside and you need a word to use so like when I say outside my dogs know they are going outside to potty.Buster will pee right away when I let him out but it may be another 5 minutes before he decides he has to poo so maybe you are not giving him enough time to do both ?????

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I stay out there for at least 30 minutes. If thats not enough I dont know what it lol. I have also figured out what to do lol. when I take him on the leash he wants to play with me. When I let him roam around he will go on his own. So I will do that for now :) I will get a sectional thingy as well.

·
Registered
979 Posts
1. Regarding the poster who asked where you got it. It is a valid question because crate training works using a dog's natural inhibition against soiling his bed. Often if a puppy was raised in a cage where, for instance, he was allowed to soil and the pan underneath was taken away and cleaned, he will have broken his inhibition against soiling the bed.

2. Regarding the poster who said the crate is too big - that too can be a problem. If he has room to make a toilet and room to make a bed he will.

3. If he is being free fed, then schedule his feeding, this will put his tubes on a schedule as well.

4. Regarding the poster who said use a potty word, I concur. Take him out when you know he's got to go - after sleeping, after eating and after playing. Use the potty word and eventually you will have a dog that potties on command. Taking him out to potty when he doesn't need to will frustrate both of you. Separate potty time from play time. Look for his signals he needs to potty - he's making them, you just have to see them. Things like circling and sniffing the ground.

5. IMO paper training a dog who needs to learn to pee outside is a waste of time and confusing for the dog. The idea is to develop the habit of not voiding in the house so start him off outside if that's where you plan for him to go.

6. Most of all - this is why puppies are cute - so you don't kill them.

Paula

1 - 15 of 15 Posts