Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a pet forum, really. I enjoy helping people out.

However, I think it would be helpful to MANDATE a filled in profile of the poster. Where they are from, at least, and what experience they have with their dogs. What dog sports or clubs they belong to......from agility to weightpull.
What accomplishments and if they are a trainer or not.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Some people want to keep their location confidential, and we have to respect that. I think that is all optional information, and it would seem sort of Nazi-like to mandate it. I'm sure root will review your suggestion though, and maybe he can make some changes to reach a compromise.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
That sounds cool to me then we would have an idea of whom we are talking to. But it sounds like a lot of work for root and it could asking too much of him.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I like that concept a lot -- providing information so that people can evaluate the credibility of a person's post. I think making it mandatory could really intimidate people, or at least be a pain for the people that could care less about this feature.

It would require making some non-trivial changes to this forum software, which may have to be re-added everytime we upgrade or patch the forum. That's the biggest hurdle I see at this point. Could people just put the info in their signature for the time being? Or is that a bad idea?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
root

I am sure you are going to work it out.

As Rachel said, you just don't know who is giving out advice. Just because you trained your pooch and did some rescues does not mean you can give advice on AGGRESSION ISSUES. This sort of thing is very tricky.

I don't think it is nazi like. It is an open forum. However, if you are not adverse to pasting your personal pics over the internet (what you look like section), why do you think putting what you do and where you live nazi like?

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
People had the OPTION of posting those pics. It wasn't mandated. This is the internet, you will run into people who have no credibilty whatsoever. If you mandate something like that, people can easily just lie. It won't really make much difference in the grand scheme of things. IMHO.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I do see Peter's point. There are members giving advice that I don't think are really qualified. I mean, we all give advice. Sometimes we're wrong. Jeez, even I thought I made a mistake once, turns out I was wrong. Ba da bum! :lol: Anyway, a few people have been giving questionable advice, over and over in many threads. Not that I'm an expert, but I can usually tell BS when I smell it. It concerns me that other members are actually biying into some of the things they are being told. Not exactly sure the idea will work. As Trina said, people will just lie anyway.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I do like root's suggestion, and I have seen this on other forums. Not dog forums, but places where people can list their credentials in their signatures. It really helps to know who you're getting advice from, but like we've already pointed out, there is no way to verify that info is correct. At least "we" the regulars know who we can trust, and the best thing we can do is refer new people to the right sources.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Hmmm...I think it's sounds like an ok idea, although what I foresee
happening is a "well I have more credentials, etc. then you, so I must
be correct." There could be people on here without the fancy credentials
who actually give good advice, but if they happen to disagree with someone
with more credentials, then that person with the credentials appears to be
more correct. In dog training, there are so many different philosophies and
training methods, etc, but no one method has ever been scientifically proven
to be better than the others (at least I don't think).

Also, I always thought that this was a forum for the general public. I came here
to seek advice and knowledge from ordinary bully breed owners and to hear
about their experiences and stuff. When I ask for advice, I am not expecting
an "expert" to give me their advice because in my opinion and from my experiences,
I've received the best information and advice from regular dog owners. Obviously,
if I had a serious issue, I would still seek advice from others on the internet just to
get some different ideas, but ultimately, I would seek a professional in "real life."

The signature idea sounds fine, but mandating it sounds extreme.

Anyway, just my relatively new member input. :D

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Bogart, love your avatar!

If people have to put in where they live, doesnt that make some sort of safety issue??I know of a few members I would have visited by now if I knew where they were!

But overall, I understand what Peter is asking, and it is not a bad idea, just be careful.

I think the regulars are trusted alot around here, and newbies aren't.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
the only problem with people providing info is that people can make up whatever the heck they want. will the board be screening referances? if you can't sift thru the chaff they you should not be seeking advice on the internet. personally i don't think training/behavioural problems should be dealt with without actually seeing the animal. alotta people out there seem to think they know what they are doing and have absolutely NO qualifications

·
Registered
288 Posts
o.k. here's mine.

As I stated a couple of years ago, I am your typical "ham and egger" who happens to have psychic ability, like Dr. Doolittle.

jackieboy
I talk to the animals.

·
Registered
154 Posts
attitude said:
the only problem with people providing info is that people can make up whatever the heck they want. will the board be screening referances? if you can't sift thru the chaff they you should not be seeking advice on the internet. personally i don't think training/behavioural problems should be dealt with without actually seeing the animal. alotta people out there seem to think they know what they are doing and have absolutely NO qualifications
Ok, I know I'm a newbie here but I am in management on other dog groups online and totally agree with this post. Anyone can lie about whatever they want. Who knows if it's true. We had a guy on another board that was a member for about a year, posted pics of "his" dog, "his" wife, Himself, "his" house etc. Then he filled out an adoption application....turns out this guy was a total liar. Come to find out, he wasn't at all who he said he was, the house wasn't his, the dog wasn't his and who knows if it was him or his wife in the pics at all.

As far as the advise given by people, I think when you come to the internet and ask for advise, you get what you ask for. People should know, I know some do and some don't, but if you need actual training advise for a serious issue you need to have your dog evaluated by a certified trainer. That being said, I have been through a few "Certified" trainers and know other people not "Certified" at all whos advise I would gladly take over those who are "Certified". Personally to me certification does make a hill of beans. Depends on the person totally to me and the advise. I've been through trainers and well, I do as I do with any advise I would get over the net....take what I need or want or want to use and leave the rest. I don't agree with some real certified trainers and would not ever follow their advise. So to me certification doesn't mean squat. Not being rude....please don't think I am. Just been there done that and have seen some freaks out there that are certified. Now days you can take "Classes" online and become a "Certified Dog Trainer". That doesn't mean you have a clue what you are really talking about. Ok, I'm rambling now. Just trying to politely make a point. Don't kill me please! :)

·
Super Moderator
15,979 Posts
Well, I like to hear advice from trainers and pet owners. The more information on a subject, the more choices I have for remedies. I like to get trained advice, common sense advice and advice from experience; it keeps me better informed. I will also state now that any advice I have to share, comes from my experience with my own dogs, vets I have gone to, information that I have read or viewed and from advice I have recieved here in the past that I pass along. I am not a certified trainer, or vet - just a person with some information to share. There are areas that I am not familar with; "Working Dogs", "Rescue Dogs", Breeding, "Photo how to", "Art, Banners" - so I just read and listen to what others have to say. BTW, I put my info in with my location info under my profile. I also think what could help is, if someone wants advice from a trained professional only, that it should be put into their post. That way, others know not to respond. And anyone that has info to share with me, please share it, as I can always use any help and information. Thanks - Pat and Clara :D

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I think location is a good idea, for folks to recognize neighbors and get togethers. I agree with Bogart. While I think that posting more detailed stats about accomplishments, titles ect could be a good idea, I think it may alienate some folks that have good knowledge and advice, but no creditials. There are alot of VERY knowledgeable folks here, and it wont take long for some bogus advice to be called out on the carpet. There are alot of really bad training techniques out there, that do indeed work on some dogs, but bad nonetheless, and what works for one dog may or may not work for another. There are also different perceptions of what constitutes a professional. Ask a Petsmart dog trainer if they are a professional, then as someone with titled working dogs....

I think forums like this are a superb way to share knowledge and experience, but in the end, it comes down to each individual making an informed decision, and taking that knowledge to THEIR professional, whether it be a vet, nutritionist, groomer or trainer.

Useful and knowledgeable advice and experience will be obvious, regardless of creditials.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.