Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me about sores that are caused from urine burn? Can they be treated at home, or do they require antibiotics to heal? Remy is licking and chewing at his paws which have some raw red spots, and they're nothing like allergy related sores/lesions that I've seen on Bella. I think it's because he lived in his own urine in his crate before he came to my house. This is the best picture I could get with the lighting in this room:

(Pardon the boy part!)

·
Registered
623 Posts
I am not sure about seeing the vet or not, but you could always try to treat the wound with triple antibiotic ointment (neosporine sp??). You may need to go to petsmart and get a cone to go around his neck so he can't lick his foot. Licking will keep the area moist and prolly prevent it from healing. It is just a suggestion, I am no expert!! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have an Elizabethan collar at home from when Bella had a bunch of paw problems, so I think I might give that a whirl with Remy. I just don't want him to be in pain anymore!

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Leann - Magnum has had MULTIPLE paw problems - but never urine related burn/sores - she has had really nasty infections/cuts/sores/puss/etc though --- If they don't look like they are infected (ie no puss) I would try an antibiotic ointment like previously suggested with the e-collar on him and that should help - if it doesnt look any better after a couple days of that then maybe consider taking him to the vet. BYW - he is SUCH a doll!! I hope you can keep him!

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
You might also try some spray on bactine. It will help to cool down the burn feeling for him and also numb the area some. Would put a collar on him because his licking the area is only going to irritate it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Try Sulfadine. It's great for many different types of skin sores. Read the label first. You can find it at Wal-mart or Tractor Supply Company.

Back in the day, my mother used to mix powdered sulfer with Crisco to use as an ointment for a dog we found that was severly abused. Within a couple of weeks, only the worst of his sores remained as scabs.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replies, everyone!! We've been putting some triple antibiotic ointment on his sores, and it looks like most of them are scabs now. He's not chewing on them at all, so he must finally be comfortable. He's on his way to being a completely healthy boy!! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts