Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Sores on Bella's neck and shoulders **updated**

6K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  HausMommy 
#1 ·
For the past week and a half or so, Bella has had these sores and scabs on the back of her neck. I didn't think much of them the first week because I assumed they were just scratches from playing with Remy. Last week, though, the scabs got very chunky and hard and fell off in huge clumps, her fur going with it. She has a vet appointment tomorrow afternoon, but does anyone have any idea what it could be? She has seasonal allergies, but I've never seen this on her before. Underneath the scabs, her skin was kind of oozy. The skin seems mostly healed now, but it's really pink and dry. Staph infection maybe? Mange? Would mange make her skin oozy and scabby? I can't wait to see how much this is going to cost us tomorrow. :lol:

Here's a scab:

It looks terrible in the camera flash! :shock:

See less See more
#2 ·
The onlytime Rocket has experienced thatis when his flea meds weren't doing the trick anymore. He was on Frontline Plus and we had to switch to K9 Advantix because the Frontline only seemd to lastabout 2 weeks. The scabs were from excessive itching (which I hadn't noticed) ad when they would come off, little clumps of hair went with them :shock:

Hope it's somehting as simple (and inexpensive!!) as that for Bella!

#4 ·
Kasco said:
Yikes! I don't have any ideas....just want to say i hope it's a simple fix! Let us know what the vet says.
Thanks! I'll definitely keep everyone updated. That's one of the things I love about this community. I learn about all kinds of medical issues that I never would have heard of otherwise!

#6 ·
Could it be her collar? It does look a little bit like when Bogart had demodex, but I always thought they only got that when they were puppies. Hope it's nothing serious.

#7 ·
Bogart said:
Could it be her collar? It does look a little bit like when Bogart had demodex, but I always thought they only got that when they were puppies. Hope it's nothing serious.
I thought it might have been her Blocky Dog collar irritating her fur (those things are pretty thick), so I just put a smaller, thinner collar on her. Her skin has gotten much better since I've done that, but she's collarless right now just so it doesn't irritate the sores. The sores go to about her shoulder blades, though, so I'm not sure if it was just collar irritation. I'm sure her collar made whatever it is worse, though!

#12 ·
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
snarky said:
it looks like "Hot Spots" to me.....
Aren't "hot spots" areas that dogs lick constantly, or am I thinking of something else?
ya know, i think i'm getting all mixed up...

our sheltie had hot spots and she literally bit her flesh off cause she was itching so bad (it was on her rump)....this is the dog that got steroid injections.....

okay, it was baylee who was experiencing the loss of hair in chunks like you explained.... duh .... anyway, i changed her food and gave her vitamin E pills.....1 daily of 1000mg.... this cured the hair loss.

#14 ·
Could just be a reation from a mosquito bite, and i do believe scabs do mean staph infection sometimes.
Your vet will probabally put Bella on anti-biotics but not have any real reason why this happened.
It's just the life of a bully-dog...they get the whole range of skin problems!!

#16 ·
Update: Well, the vet isn't concerned about it at all. He thinks because of the location of the sores that it's just from play fighting with Remy. I'm going to take her back in if they spread or get worse, but for now, the vet isn't treating them like they're an infection or mange or anything, so that's good!

I spent $145 at the vet's office today and got all of this: yearly heartworm exam, 12 months of heartworm prevention (6 months for each dog), 3 year rabies vaccine, distember booster, and a fecal exam. Not bad!!

#21 ·
my bully has had a very similar issue in the past.. i couldnt figure out why he was getting sores and losing the hair on his back, it turns out he actually has skin allergies that require daily medication and special shampoo.. he has to be bathed about twice a week with this shampoo.. one thing that has helped is taking omega 3 (fish oils) daily with his food..

#22 ·
same as above. my bully lost hair on his arse. i switched to DVP duck/potato and gave him omega 3 and now his coat and hair loss problems are gone. i think it was a food allergy.

glad everything worked out. stressing about your dog is no fun for anybody.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.