Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went away for the weekend and I recieved a call from my son at 1 am on Saturday night. He said, "mom, missy has big welts all over her body and her face is bloody and swollen. I'm scared. What should I do?" I was groggy and thought of welts and it might be some allergic reaction to something. So I told him to give her a tab of benadryl. Im very sure that my son save my babies life by giving her this tablet. I know that with such a bad reaction her throat would have closed up.... :cry: :cry: :cry: When I did get home on Sunday afternoon, she still had some welts on her backend and on her chest. Her face had scabs around her eye and on top of her nose. They said that one of her eyes was swollen shut and huge. I couldnt imagine what she must have looked like. Just thinking about it scares the hell out of me!!! I asked my mother what did my dog get a hold of that was different. Her diet....anything you ate and gave her that she didnt have before? Her reply was, no. Nothing different. I asked her did you let the dogs out before you went to bed? Her answer was yes. Because my dog loves to watch bugs crawl. I thought that she got a hold of some bug or spider that was poisonious or something. Then my mother told me that missy was in the kitchen scratching at something under the counter. I think that was it. Because once in a while a big black spider will make its way in our house.

Has anyone had this happen to them...? Please let me know.

ps...missy is doing fine now. The welts are gone, but the scabs on her face are still there. To be safe, Im still giving her a benadryl every 4-6 hrs.

Carol

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Dixie had a huge spider bite reaction when she was little. It didnt do what you describe, the reaction was localized to the area where she was bitten.

It was nasty. But, it also may depend on what type of spider.
If the benedryl is working and she is looking better, dont worry.Unless it comes back.

Poor baby!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Bogart is very sensitive to bug bites. He has had to go in a few times for shots of antihistamines. Just the other day, my boyfriend and I went on a picnic, brought Bogart, and as we were leaving, I noticed Bogart's eye starting to swell. We gave him two Benadryl when we got home and he was fine a short while later. It was a good thing that you had Benadryl handy. I always keep a supply.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im glad too that we did have the benadryl on hand...! My friends that own the mother of my dog told me that missys grandmother died of severe allergies. Im hoping that missy didnt inherit this too. I know that the bully breeds are sensitive and have alot of reactions, but you always hope that your baby doesnt have the same problem also.

I have been watching her closely when she goes outside or in the house now. I definately dont want the same thing repeated. She is still doing fine except of the yellow discharge that is coming out of her eyes. And I will always keep a bottle of benedryl on hand from now on!

Thank you for the support.

Carol and missy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts