Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chloe escaped as my husband tried to get through the door today. In the process of chasing her and catching her, I think she split one of her toenails. I got it to stop bleeding and soaked it in peroxide, but I'm wondering if I need to wrap it and take her to the vet tomorrow. I feel so bad for her although it doesn't seem to be causing her to much pain. :cry:

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Kate's dew claw is split... the vet said just keep trimming it as it grows and hopefully it will start growing together. If not they can trim off the slipt part but that is under rare circumstances

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help. I've never dealt with one before, so I wasn't sure what to do. My first instinct was to take her to the Animal Hospital, but since it was after hours it would have been a fortune! She not limping or acting like it is painful so I'll just keep an eye on it. This girl is going to turn me grey before 30 LOL.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I've never had a split toenail, but I did cut the quick one time. :shock: :( Luckily, a friend had told me the fastest way to stop the bleeding was to dip the foot in flour. Amazingly, it worked. Just in case it happens again, or someone does what I did.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I dealt with this last month...Baxter split his toenail in half...pretty painful for them
So we took him to the vet and they held him down and clipped cleaned and wrapped his foot
he kept it on for a day they said would give it enough time to heal up....it was bledding a little
and bothering him still the next day..he was on a 8 day antibiotic course for infection....
soooo thats what i did when it happened here

·
Super Moderator
16,010 Posts
manders626 said:
Thanks for all the help. I've never dealt with one before, so I wasn't sure what to do. My first instinct was to take her to the Animal Hospital, but since it was after hours it would have been a fortune! She not limping or acting like it is painful so I'll just keep an eye on it. This girl is going to turn me grey before 30 LOL.

From watching Clara with her nails, this seems to be an on going routine.
It looks as if the nail splitting off is the old nail and there is a new nail underneath.
I do think it bothers them but they keep tending to it til it comes off. If the old nail
is longer than the new nail then I trim it back to the length of the new nail. I think this
happens more often with the bulldogs that dig alot and that is Clara. She loves to go
bug hunting so she is always sniffing them out and then digging them up.
:lol: :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts