Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 1/2" polyester rope tied to a large but springy oak limb. A little over 5' above the ground, I've tied a piece of 1" dia cotton rope (from a tack shop). The cotton rope has frayed out to about 4" dia. and the ends hang down to about 3' above the ground. Sassy can strech and just grab the tip, or she can jump and grab the knot where the 2 ropes are joined. The cotton rope is easy on the teeth and gums, but I'm sure there are better ways to set this up. Can some one direct me to a site or two that has info about, plans, parts for sale to build a proper spring pole (is a spring involved ????)

I'm also using a piece of the same cotton rope for a tug toy. I've seen tug toys made from stuffed pieces of fire hose...strong and durable, dogs can get a good grip, doesn't shred.

Thanks in advance... :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Garage door spring attached with chain to the tree, rope from the other end. Works wonders!!! :lol: There is a recipe/instructions for the same on here just do not remember the thread.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll do a search. The oak limb is pretty high up, I don't know if I could get up to it to tie a spring, the limb is about 3"dia and it's pretty springy.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Here is the top of mine it's very cheap and easy to make
I just used a small spring I bought at Lowes and some rope after the spring with enough rope to keep him from bitting the spring and his favorite toy at the end. Just make sure you get the right spring so it doesn't bottom out cause of the weight of your dog. I hope this is some kinda help if you need anymore info just ask cause im making a better one so both my dog's can tear it up without hurting themselves

·
Registered
269 Posts
You can also use tractor inner tubes (use two) instead of a garage door spring. Some dogs don't like the sound of the spring (like mine). You can secure it to the branch with an old nylon collar.

·
Registered
345 Posts
And those "stuffed fire hose toys that the dogs can't get a grip on" save your money, took Sheila all of about 10 minutes to destroy one of those "tough, long lasting extreme firehouse toys" :lol: Took it back to Petco the next day, along with three other toys she demolished the same night (that were all promoted as tough long lasting) Lady looked at me and asked me what kind of monster do I have???? I said a puppy AB :twisted: I saw a website for APBT that had some interesting designs for springpole while I was at work today but can't seem to bring it up now. Think I just searched under springpole, or apbt springpole.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts