Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the trainer put on a diguise for some protection work and I was holding the dog, After 15 mins I could all ready see the increase in confidence in my dog. I thought it was someone else too I did not realise it was a diguise at first

·
Registered
790 Posts
May I ask.......

What is your goal? Just curious. If it is just an alarm/threat dog, that is great. As a personal protection dog (bodyguard), this sort of work is only done as proofing at a very late stages of training, after you have imprinted the foundation of OB (control) and love of the bite. Or you want to create a sentry dog.

Personally, I think a dog that is agitated too much is competely useless as a personal protection dog. A PP dog has to be friendly with the public. I dont' like mistrust. Mistrust creates fear bites. Fear aggression. Defence aggression.

I know Koehler Method of Dog Training advocates this sort of training but what is lacking is the channeling of the dog back into prey (safe) mode, releasing the stress.

It all depends on the dog. I am sure your trainer knows this. The major thing is your dog likes the work.

Don't open up a can of worms you cannot control. I always get nervous of agitation training. I think BULLDOGS, unlike shepard breeds, because they are (majority) so high in defence drive, need to be worked more in PREY or channelled back into prey.

Good luck. I respect anyone that takes training their dogs seriously as you do and being responsible enough to pay for it when they realize they cannot do it themselves.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have two basic goals. one off leash ob training advanced as I have all basic functions down all though not polished perfect.
Second I have asked the trainner to see how far he can take the dog in 30 days for home/ personal protection.
First is to create a good alarm dog and if that works and see what eles can be done. He was told to challenge the dog not to bury it. Also I came with my 5 year old and told him we are expecting and we can not afford to have our daughters stuffed doggie turn into a killer. the goal is to Guard us not scare us.

PS. what would you consider a sentry dog not familiar with this term,

They seem to use only positive reenforcement techniques.; I asked about the Koehler method and they said it is not good on bullies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.