Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently adopted a young (2yrs) pit bull mix and she is such a great dog! We go for walks twice a day, and they are enjoyable most of the time. Its when she sees a squirrel and she goes bizerk! Pulling, whining, barking......what should I be doing here? I've been pulling her along until she stops pulling, but Im pretty sure there is something different I can do. We have started obediance classes, but havent learned that yet. Any ideas?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would get a prong collar. Anytime she pulls then I would stop all movement or turn directions. She has to learn that she needs to pay attention to where you are going and not other animals.

You will need to be patient because pitbulls have a strong prey drive.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Head collars and prong collars work well for stopping pulling, but you could also train her to ignore stuff like that by refocusing her attention to you with treats. For instance, use a command specifically for when she gets nuts around the squirrel, like "ignore" or something like that. When she acts crazy to get the squirrel, show her the treat (let her smell it), give her the command, and when she starts paying attention to you and ignoring the squirrel, then give her the treat. Do it a few times until she forgets about the squirrel. Make it enjoyable for her, and she'll learn quickly. Reward good behavior, instead of punishing bad behavior. I work with my dogs this way and they're learning not to even flinch at birds, people, other dogs, etc.

But be patient. She probably won't master it in one sitting. Training takes persistence and lots of patience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts