Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
When are people going to realize that pit bulls, American Staffordshires, and Staffordshire Bulls are the same dogs?
:roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,658 Posts
PitBullRoyalty said:
When are people going to realize that pit bulls, American Staffordshires, and Staffordshire Bulls are the same dogs?
:roll:
They aren't the same dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
I always thought AmStaffs were the larger, stockier dogs with the broader head, while APBT were the smaller, leaner ones. And the SBT were the short stocky ones. ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they are different. i have 2 am staffs and they both weigh in at over 70lbs, and the staffy bull that i had was only 35lbs at her full weight and only 12'' tall. tommy2 has the right picture. they are also registered through that akc as 2 different breeds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
They are not the same dogs.

This info come from Oasis-SBT rescue and rehoming of Arizona. (http://www.geocities.com/oasisrescue/#wondering). These are some of the differences between the breeds.

SBTs are very small, short dogs. Expect the females to be 25 to 35 pounds and males not to exceed 40. Average shoulder height is under 16 inches for males; females are typically 14 to 15 inches. If the dog you've found is taller than this, it is most likely not a SBT.
A SBT has a box shape head, tight/clean lips, round eyes and a black nose. Pitbulls & AmStaffs have rectangular shaped heads, longer muzzle, looser flews/lips, almond eyes & the pitbull sometimes has a red nose.
The typical SBT has short legs and is not as quick or agile as the apbt, amstaff, american bulldog or various other muscle-breeds. Look at the legs. Are they long and lean & strong? Can the dog run like the wind and jump over high fences? That's a pitbull (working style) body, or a body belonging to many other muscular type dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
Okay, my husband has some commets, these are from him...


How can they be the same breeds if they are bred from differnt breeds? STB was bred from the english bull dog and the only english terrier (extinct). They were originally bred as rat dogs which then turned into baiting dogs and at some point, unfortunately, were used for fighting. Also, SBT originated in England and APBT originated in America.

The APBT I believe was bred from some type of bull breed and possibly a yankee terrier, but not an old english terrier. The APBT were not bred for rat dogs.

This is not to say that I don't love and respect APBT, but they are just not the same breed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
Well, this is what I have been told..

The original bully was the BullDog, a dog from England which resembles today's American BullDog.
Crossing terriers with the BullDog created the Staffordshire Terrier (created in Staffordshire, England).
Now, I don't remember how the American Pit Bull Terrier came along. But i do know that when the AKC
went to register them, they didn't want to be associated with the pit bull name. So they took the place of their
origin (Staffordshire) and they became the American Staffordshire Terrier.

If you go to this link below FROM THE AKC WEBSITE it states that they are in fact all the same breed.

The yankee terrier IS the pit bull terrier (a proposed name change to better the image).

They are called pit bulls by most, AmStaffs by the AKC and StaffBulls by England.
The reason why StaffBulls are so small is because they are only breeding the small ones (the original size).
The AKC says the only difference between the AmStaff (pit bull) and the StaffBull is the weight.
They were given different names for the sole reason of different weight classes.
Maybe those heavier pits should also have another name change? :wink:

Anywho, follow this link below (I'm sure the AKC is correct in the breed's history)
http://www.akc.org/breeds/american_staffordshire_terrier/history.cfm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
Zoe'sMom said:
The typical SBT has short legs and is not as quick or agile as the apbt, amstaff, american bulldog or various other muscle-breeds. Look at the legs. Are they long and lean & strong? Can the dog run like the wind and jump over high fences? That's a pitbull (working style) body, or a body belonging to many other muscular type dogs.
I beg to differ this opinion...Yes they have shorter legs but they are real agile and fast. I had a little 35lb female and she could clear 6ft fences all day long, she would run circles around any american bulldog or pitbull as far as that goes. Those little dogs can be very tenacious!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
ambull040769 said:
Zoe'sMom said:
The typical SBT has short legs and is not as quick or agile as the apbt, amstaff, american bulldog or various other muscle-breeds. Look at the legs. Are they long and lean & strong? Can the dog run like the wind and jump over high fences? That's a pitbull (working style) body, or a body belonging to many other muscular type dogs.
I beg to differ this opinion...Yes they have shorter legs but they are real agile and fast. I had a little 35lb female and she could clear 6ft fences all day long, she would run circles around any american bulldog or pitbull as far as that goes. Those little dogs can be very tenacious!
I agree.. the original pit fighters were the little guys. Plus, isn't the weightpulling champ tiny?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
American Pitbull Terriers and American Staffordshire Terriers are essentially the same breed.(AST are bred for show with UKC while APBT's are ADBA,etc and are still more of a working type)...Staffordshire Bull Terriers are different from both...they are the smaller guys like Tommyo22 posted. That is where the confusion is coming from.

As far as any of them being more nonfunctional than the rest..bull. The SBT's are highly agile and active as are many APBT's and AST's..the overdone APBT's and AST's are going to be less functional than the SBT's.

On a sidenote, the smaller dogs aren't pulling more weight in pounds, but do tend to pull more weight per pound of body weight than the larger dogs do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
Thanks for explaining it the way I was trying to before it got jumbled, LOL.
I thought the weightpulling champion of the world was a 30 pound pit (or StaffBull).
I thought I remembered hearing that, maybe I'm wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
Maybe I'm thinking about most weight pulled per pound?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
If you are going to get a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, please make sure that the parents of the pup have been tested for L2 HGA HC and PHPV :wink: I know at present the blood tests have to be sent to the AHT in the UK and the results sent back to the states, but these are tests that are imperitive to the breed, and any reputable breeder would have taken the time to send off blood samples.

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is not the same breed as a Pitbull :? :roll:

Good luck with your search :D
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Top