Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Poor Zoe has been so itchy for most of her young life (she is 6 months old). We have taken her to the vet and she has had various creams, injections, steroids, pills, sprays and they seem to help, but as soon as they run out, she is itching within a day. I hate to keep putting all these chemicals into her and she is so young, she has been on this stuff most of her little life. We changed her food, that did not seem to help. We are starting to think it is from being in the grass, she seems to be worse when she has spent a lot of time outside, but I can't keep her out of the grass. Any of you had this same problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Poor thing!! I hate hearing about young pups being pumped full of medication and steroids. Bella was one of them, too. She's allergic to grass and gets hives all the time. She never scratches at them, though. She had a problem with chewing on her paws last year, though, and what our new vet suggested we do is wipe her paws and belly off with baby wipes everytime she comes in. It seems to be working well with keeping pyoderma away. It may not work as effectively in your case, but it's worth a shot!

Has her vet tested for allergies yet? Maybe allergy shots would benefit her.

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Sounds like it may be allergies. I know several people on here who's dogs have allergies, particualrly to grass. My vet recommends Claritin daily (10 mg for a dog over 50 lbs) for constant allergies or Benadryl for an occasional flare up (1 mg perpound of body weight).

Hope your pup gets some relief soon!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
what kind of food to you feed your pup. CC's like that if she gets and corn or wheat. I changed her food, and she's less ichy. she has more alligeries, like to most collars(I think it's the dies they use. I give her a bath in oatmeal shampoo when she gets real ichy, it helps. I don't want to put her on steroids becouse it shorten her life. benadryll works great when she gets hives.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Someone on here.....oh Brodies mom.... found out that Brodie was allergic to chicken in the food... thats not something that you would commonly think of either so it might still come down to being a food problem

·
Registered
775 Posts
Zoe'sMom said:
Hi. Poor Zoe has been so itchy for most of her young life (she is 6 months old). We have taken her to the vet and she has had various creams, injections, steroids, pills, sprays and they seem to help, but as soon as they run out, she is itching within a day. I hate to keep putting all these chemicals into her and she is so young, she has been on this stuff most of her little life. We changed her food, that did not seem to help. We are starting to think it is from being in the grass, she seems to be worse when she has spent a lot of time outside, but I can't keep her out of the grass. Any of you had this same problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like your pup is allergic to you.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Cookies mom, what food do you have your dogs on???

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great suggestions! Zoe will be very happy!

Someone asked about food. We have tried a few different types of food: Science Diet (which the vet recommended and now we find out this is not very good for her), Blue, homemade mixture of chicken, chicken liver, rice and carrots. Just changed her to Nature's Variety. I have also received a recommendation for a food that is specifically for allergy prone dogs.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All that rain

It has been raining here for what seems like the better part of 2 weeks. Zoe has spent most of her time indoors (she is not a big fan of rain) and we have found that she is substantially less itchy. Unfortunately, this coincides with us changing her food, so we are not sure if it is the absence of grass or her new food that is making her improve. We have been able to rule out her being allergic to something in the house, which is a step in the right direction...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts