Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aquiring a harness. I have tried the stupid regular walking harness for wp training. Of course all I am doing until the pups develop more is training the to pull something behind(milk jugs) and get used to the noise, feel of wearing a harness, and commands, the regular harness isnt cutting it.

Anyone else SERIOUSLY interested in one? I can ask her if it'd be ok to send more to other people. The more trying it out, the more feedback, the better right???

I am excited!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Ok, I have always wondered about this..Since you are training them to pull how do that affect your walks? Is there a command that you give that says now is the time to pull or do they just pull when they feel resistance. Excuse my ignorance but I have always wondered about that.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol, it is hard! I started with doing it "by the book" and the poor pups were sooo confused, as I became confused as well.

What you have to do ,I have learned is teach them "heel" first. Then "pull". When we are walking on the leash, I have taught (one of them) to sit as soon as we stop walking, it is basic obedience, automatically when I stop, he sits. Then, if I give him the heel command, I too start to walk and he walks along side of me. Then we stop, he sits, and I give the "pull" command, but this time I do not walk right off, as he will start, and tighten the leash as if he is pulling me, then I start to walk. When I stop, and give a small tug, he sits again. When he is under the pull command, I have to tug alittle on the leash when I stop walking, because there is tension already on the leash it is hard for him to tell when I have stopped!!!

The other pup, he isn't the "brightest crayon in the box", I am trying to go about things alittle differently.

I am training him to pull only in the harness (when it arrives) and walks are kept seperate. So, this way harnes means pull, and leash and collar means heel.

I spent weeks trying to figure this out, as it is not as cut and dry as reading makes it seem.

Then, I try not to use bait, that makes it hard as well. I have to some times, and will wean as soon as I can.

I can only work on commands and getting them used to the harnesses when they arrive for now, I cannot wait to start them actually pulling. They can drag empty milk jugs to get used to dragging something. At a year some tell me 9 months, I will get x rays and such done, and discuss where we stand, and if all looks well, we may start weight training then, slowly, little weights.

I know I am anxious, but my dogs health comes first!!And I will not jeopardize hurting them for anything!!

Their harnesses take about 2 weeks to get to me, including making them and shipping them. I will take pics when I get them. My babies in their new clothes!!!Lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.