Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Stinky Doggie!

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  BreeJ 
We have dogs that come in for baths once a week with no problems, I used to bathe my pit TWICE a week.
The key is to find a gentle shampoo, like an oatmeal shampoo or a hypoallergenic shampoo (which has no
coloring or fragrance but will still clean your dog). Also, anything that is made for puppies would be good.

Normally if your dog has a skin condition, your vet would prescribe a medicated shampoo which they all say
on the back "Safe to use once a week or more, ask your vet". I know this one shiht-zu that comes in for haircuts,
her vet recommended her be bathed EVERY DAY. So talk to your vet, they'll know whats best.

Micro Tek is good stuff, alot of dogs with skin conditions are on that. I agree with checking internally.
Most of the time when people say their dog is on Presciption Diet they mean Hill's veterinary diet.
They are called by different letters (for example A/D, C/D, C/D-S, G/D, etc). They are ONLY available
through your vet and they are extremely expensive. The sad part in that even they are really not the best
for your dog, most have rice as the first or second ingredient. I think 99% of skin problems can be solved
with the proper diet, most commercial diets today are just horrid for your dog. My father had a huge collie
(think lassie), around 80 pounds. That dog lived until he was 18 years old, do you know why? He ate people
food. Not junk, but whatever my father ate he gave a portion to his dog. This includes steak, chicken, turkey,
baked ham, whatever, plus veggies. And he lived a nice healthy life, would've lived even longer but his back
legs gave out and my father couldn't carry him around so he thought best to pts.

Not to forget he had the thickest, most beautiful coat on him. Most collies today have bald spots. He bought
him from a breeder for $20 because the dog was a runk and wasn't supposed to live. He outlived all his siblings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.