Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres the situation...

took Mason to vet 2 weeks ago for shots... at the time he had on and off diarrhea.. so the vet did a fecal and put him on 3 anti biotics just to be safe..
So I was giving him the meds and things seemed tog o back to normal.. keep in mind he was still playful and eating and drinking before I took him to vet.. His test came back negative..

Just recently took him off the meds because I felt he was doin better.. only had a little bit more ot go and he was starting not tot ake them...

Anyhow that was late last week...just yesterday when he goes it started to do what it did before... goes from normal form... to being soft then today it was basically water..

Hes still playful, eating same amount... even drinking WAY more water... what could my problem be??

Is it possible theres something in the food I feed him that doesnt sit right in his stomach, much like dairy to some people??

Just curious, ive ruled out sickness just cause of his current mood.. and I know tis possible for his fecal to come back negative but him still have a worm or something..

Any advice or thoughts?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I suggest running him in again for another fecal. Some parasites such as giardia are VERY hard to see (takes an experienced eye & even then.....) & it can occur in repeating order (i.e. dog has severe diarrhea which slowly clears up, think dog is fine, then dog starts having diarrhea all over again). Coccidia can also be hard to find in some cases as well.

Also, what kind of treats does she get?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Has he been on this food or is this a new food that you just inroduced him to? Has been like this since being on this food?

I know Buster had the runs with the Nutro Max and it didn't stop even with the pills the doctor gave us so I switched and he is now on Nutro Natural lamb and rice and (knocking on wood now) he hasn't had any issues with it.Sometimes the food just doesn't agree with them and they need to be swicthed.If that isn't the case he is acting normal otherwise?

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well when I got him they sent over a little nutro max..but not enough to do a swicth so I just gave him this food.. but he went awhile with just being good on it..

Only treats he gets is frozen carrots or milkbones..

Maybe it is the food...hmmm

He has an appt on saturday for his last set of shots maybe ill get another fecal done...

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whats another good brand? Royal Canine?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
He is probably drinking more water because having diarrhea dehydrates them. Royal canin is a good food, but some dogs do not do good on it. I just switched to DVP ultra premium. It is about the same price as Royal canin, it just doesn't have so many fillers in it. After my dogs get used to the DVP I will be able to tell you how they are doing on it :)

Good luck with your boy. Hopefully you will find something soon to help with the diarrhea.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Bear is on Royal Canine Bulldog 24. I just switched a couple weeks ago to it. Previously he was on DVP Natural Balance Duck & Potato did great on this as well.

He did not take well to Wellness (any of the different varieties). He always had very soft stool. I hear some dogs have this reaction to Wellness, some don't. I guess it all depends on the dog.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will I be able to find all those at Petsmart???

I will finish him on this food because I have alot left of it and just start switching him SLOWLY on a new food... have to find one that he reacts too nicely I guess..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts