Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while we were playing I noticed a little raw spot behind Deuce's ear. There was a lot of hair missing and the area was all red. In the middle there was a little spot where the skin was broken. I think he might have been scratching with his foot and got a little carried away. However, I didn't see it happen so I am only guessing that is what it is. If it is, what should I do to get him to stop scratching? He doesn't have any fleas or tics, and he is inside all the time, except for maybe short play periods outside. I have had his collar off for the past few days, b/c he always scratches at it. So, I guess it isn't the collar b/c it didn't show up until after I took it off, but that also made his ear and neck easier to scratch. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Could be anything from allergies to mange, to parasites, to just dry itchy skin... I'de err on the side of caution, and have your vet take a look at him before he causes an infection from scratching.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
If it's raw behind there you should check it out because it's only going to get worse. When Darla was a pup she had Scarcoptic mange, one shot and gone...it gets worse, their nails cause gauges in the skin which bleed and scab then scar.

As well allergy concerns- which can be caused by lots of factors.

OR just plain old fleas (which can carry worms :x )

Either way - you could look into insurance FIRST then go if it's a big picture issue. If you don't get insurance until after diagnoses THEY WILL NOT cover it.

www.sheltercare.com is what I use $21 a month for piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Duuhhh, I think I figured out what happened to his skin. He was playin with my mom's dogs the other day and they get kinda rough, and they decide of all places to play, that the driveway (concrete) would be the best. There is 3 acres of grass, but they want on the concrete. But, it is closed up and looks a lot better today.

The Blue Heeler only has 3 legs but she still pins him every time. She thinks she is his momma. The others are too small, so they don't like playin with him. He gets too rough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts