Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Victorian Bulldog who is about 7 months old. Since I've had him, he's always seemed to enjoy taking walks and exploring the neighborhood--his issues then were being able to keep him on track and walk along the sidewalk. Just recently, however, he has begun to act quite stubborn on walks. He will rush outside to the same spot to do his business, but then when we begin to go for an actual walk, he tends to just stop dead in his tracks and look around. Sometimes he'll just observe his surroundings, or sit and stare at me. When I give him a few "let's go" commands, he just stares at me or sits down and looks elsewhere (I know he knows what I want). He rarely moves on my command unless I have something he wants or I walk towards him while he's sitting. I end up letting him sit there a bit, and then keep trying to get him to go on command, as I don't want to pull on his leash to get him to move. A "quick" walk around the block seems to take us 20 or so minutes!

Additionally, he has virtually refused to go inside the apartment entrances (all of them--even though he will go out with no hesitation). Sometimes I have to pick him up and carry all 55 pounds of him inside the doors.

For context, I recently moved from a duplex/house to a fairly high-rise apartment complex. He never had problems going back inside after walks at the duplex, and doesn't currently have issues going into the elevator (more frightening than a door, I would think:-s) . He does seem to be more distracted outside of my new apartment, as there are more pedestrians and vehicles going by.

Any ideas or suggestions? I'm assuming it will get better with age and I know bulldogs are known to be stubborn, but wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on how to potentially curb this.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
He is in new surroundings and he does not trust them. He hears different sounds, sees
different sights and smells different odors. So far they are not to his liking. It will take
time for him to get used to his new surroundings. Be patient with him and let him do it at
his own pace. You did not say how long you have been in your new place, but it usually
takes time for a dog to start feeling good about a new area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is in new surroundings and he does not trust them. He hears different sounds, sees
different sights and smells different odors. So far they are not to his liking. It will take
time for him to get used to his new surroundings. Be patient with him and let him do it at
his own pace. You did not say how long you have been in your new place, but it usually
takes time for a dog to start feeling good about a new area.
I've been living at the new apartment for a month now. The odd thing is that he was totally fine going in and out of the apartment doors for the first 2 weeks, but has only recently become skiddish of the doors. As for the surroundings, my previous duplex was about a mile away, so the environment is new but very similar.
Regardless, thank you for the advice! I will be patient with him and let him get used to everything.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Perhaps the door caught his foot or toe which you may not have noticed.
Perhaps having some treats in your pocket will help. As you come to the door, take
out a treat and as soon as he goes through the door, give it to him with a "good boy". :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! I will see if that helps. I just tried it this afternoon, and he isn't convinced with a treat, but I'll keep working at it. However, if another person or dog is in the entrance, he doesn't hesitate to go in! Maybe it's just me... 8-[

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
My newest dog is a little leary to go down the back steps to the deck. But when
the other dogs go ahead of he follows right along. So maybe he is just a little leary of
something he is not familiar with but feels more confident when other dogs are there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An update here: Quincy has gotten better with going in and out of the doors to my apartment and he is definitely used to his surroundings and comfortable with the area. He has gotten worse with just stopping and putting on the breaks when we try to go for walks. Sometimes he'll literally just stop and stare at me--I think this is just stubbornness. I try to give a small tug on the leash to get him moving when verbal commands don't work--but this works about 10% of the time. I don't want to pull very hard at all or force him to move, but that seems like it would be the only solution at this point :roll:.Does anyone have any tips or tricks? Any special collars or leashes out there to get Quincy to keep up with me?

I know it's not a mobility or laziness issue--he has tons of energy and moves very well.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Have you had his hips checked? Perhaps it hurts him to walk.
Also, take a look at his nails. If they are too long that could bother him, also.

Other than that, it may be something in the walk that he does not like.
Do you walk fast? If you are tall, you may take longer strides and if you are walking
a little fast it may be difficult for him.

Do not have any advice on leashes except to say that a harness may be more helpful

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the response! I actually had him checked at the vet and his hips are fine and his nails were recently clipped, so that should rule out those two options.
It doesn't seem to be a physical issue, he can easily keep up with me as I don't walk at a brisk pace at all. I know he's not exhausted or overheated or anything like that because it occurs as soon as we get outside.
As I mentioned previously, he is used to his surroundings at this point and--while he's generally curious/distracted (we live in a metro area in Kansas City)--it seems like he is literally just being stubborn and trying to do what he wants. I'm trying to be patient with him, but it does get frustrating. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Yes, do try the pocket treats that oznog suggested. Also, if he is not too heavy
perhaps you could carry him for a block and then put him down to walk back. He will
want to walk back because he will want to get back home. Once he starts walking
back then maybe he will start walking forward. ;)

Also, have you started with his obedience training? If not this will also help him to
listen to you. If he is truly just being defiant, this is the way to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts