Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sassy will be 15 in November. She has had her share of problems with health these past two years or so. Remember last March(two years ago) her jaw was locked shut due to calcium build up from tug o war??Well, she was fixed, and seems fine. As a matter of fact, she acts younger then she has in several years. She sleeps alot, but plays alot as well. She plays with all the dogs.

Last night when they all went potty, she went out and layed in front of the door. When a dog would come to the door to come in, she'd growl. So I went over and made her stop and sent her in.

Tonite, Gary my peke,was laying on the mat in front of my front door, and she went over to him and grabbed him, making him scream, so that she could lay there!

Now, since her jaw has been fixed, it still only opens about 1 1'2 inches, maybe 2 on a good day, and her bite is very weak. She cannot even chew kibble without moistening it first for an hour or so. So I know she didn't "hurt" him, she just scared the life out of him!

Usually, Sasshas a guilty conciounce(sp?0 too. If she is doing something wrong, like chewing a paper or playing too rough, and I walk in, she is butt tucked and walking outts the room as fast as she can. She didnt do that tonite when she grabbed Gary. She acted as if she didnt see me, right in front of her!!!

Do you all think maybe there is a medical problem somewhere in her head??Tumor on her brain??Or just grouchiness in her old age?She c annot bite to hurt very much, maybe a pinch,but she is strong, strong, and uses her weight sometime when playing.

What is going on with her?I would be absolutly devastated if I had to put her down at this age, end it all, all those years over a sudden change in temperment!

·
Registered
12,743 Posts
Yeah, old dogs can be a challenge to figure out if they are just not feeling well or if they
just are being old grouches! My 13 year old OES behavior changed the last 6 months of her
life, she got VERY stubborn and wanted to do things HER way. She turned and nipped at
me on several occasions (she had never even nipped at a fly) because things like me trying to
shuffle her out the door to go potty. I think she changed because 1)she didn't feel well b/c of arthritis
2)cataracts had set in,couldn't see as good 3)her hearing was failing. Also old dogs like the familiar, they
don't like change in routine...if your dog was used to lying there and some other dog was in her way, yeah she's gonna
get b-itchy with them.
I feel for you, it is never easy to watch a loved dog get old. :cry:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.