Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for advice as to which bulldog breed to select. My 13 year old english bulldog (Knuckles) died 6 months ago. I did not want to get a new dog right away but now I am ready. I loved my dog but I would like a dog that could walk or hike and where heat is not such a huge issue. Knuckles had air way surgery which helped with his breathing but he was still relatively inactive. Since I work mostly out of my house I have the time to care for a dog that needs attention. I would prefer an indoor dog that is not too large. I do not know the temperaments of the other breeds so am asking for help from all of you. I loved Knuckles temperament - he was so easy going and loving. Also, any advice as to whether to get a puppy or an adult dog would be appreciated. I would consider a rescue dog as long as it didn't have behaviour problems too entrenched to modify. Is this a good idea? I am more of the dog person than my husband. I would like the dog to bond some with him but he is not home as much as I am. Would it be better to get a female? Thanks in advance for any comments.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. Welcome to the board.

I know you said bulldog, but I can't pass on a saying what a good dog a Boxer is.
I had a Boxer name Chewy. Great family dog. Never barks never whines. Very athetic and hyper sometimes.
loves to jog with me.
Female: There are some Boxers that get really big and some that are around 50-70lbs. Mine was around 65lbs
Instinctively a hearing guard dog, his bearing is alert, dignified, and self-assured. In the show ring his behavior should exhibit constrained animation. With family and friends, his temperament is fundamentally playful, yet patient and stoical with children. Deliberate and wary with strangers, he will exhibit curiosity, but, most importantly, fearless courage if threatened. However, he responds promptly to friendly overtures honestly rendered. His intelligence, loyal affection, and tractability to discipline make him a highly desirable companion. Any evidence of shyness, or lack of dignity or alertness, should be severely penalized.

Or American Staffordshire Terrier or also known sometimes as APBT. Very loyal, atheltic, outgoing, strong, friendly and very intelligent. These dogs are also masculine, which is a plus with most men. They can range from 50-70lbs. I would check the breeding first before deciding. People are now breeding 100lbs Pits

"The Pit Bull is goofily friendly towards people--family, friends, and strangers alike. Known for its sound character, strong nerve, and great intelligence, the breed makes an ideal companion for households with children, while remaining strong and vigilent enough to protect its loved ones if need be. It is never necessary to embark on guard or attack training with this breed, as they are naturally attuned to their environment and intuitive about real threats. Although never aggressive towards people without real need, the Pit Bull is dog-aggressive, to varying degrees. The properly socialized and trained Pit Bull should not be an instigater, yet neither should he shy away from a challenge. The breed is known for its high prey drive, and so due caution should be exercised when cats, rabbits, domestic fowl, and other such animals are present. Aggression towards other animals should not be viewed as a fault, although excessive, uncontrollable aggression is neither desired nor correct. Aggression towards humans should be viewed as a serious fault."

I would get a female puppy.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Hey Trish, welcome to the foum. I would prefer a pup because you can raise them however you like. If you get an adult dog, I would go with a rescue that does temperament testing. As far as breed, I am a big American Bulldog fan. We have a 9 month old Ab and she is an amazing dog. She is great with other dogs, loves kids, has a solid temp and has the perfect activity level. She will go hiking or running but she has that nice amount of lazy bulldog in her and like to lay around. The one thing about ABs, this goes with alot of other bullys, they can be dog aggressive. They are not as likely to be as dog aggressive as pits though. Another good choice if you like the looks of an English Bulldog is an Olde English Bulldog. They look like Englishs but are alot healthier but a bit bigger (perfect size for me). They are awesome dogs. They are created from English Bulldogs, American Bulldogs, Mastiffs and Pits.

Here is some background nfo on Old Englsih Bulldogs: http://www.bulldoginformation.com/Olde-English-Bulldogge.html

Here are some potos: http://groups.msn.com/TheWorldBulldoggeAssociation/ricalikennel.msnw?pgmarket=en-us

Heres my AB Loki

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the difference between a pit bull and an AB?

I thought pitbulls and american bulldogs were the same dog. Is an american staffordshire bull terrier the same as a pitbull? I also see that there is a staffordshire bull terrier. This is smaller than the american. Same temperament?

Can any of these dogs do agility training? My sister wanted me to ask this question as she is interested in agility.

The Olde English looks very much like an english bulldog. How big do they get?

Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Re: What is the difference between a pit bull and an AB?

trish said:
I thought pitbulls and american bulldogs were the same dog. Is an american staffordshire bull terrier the same as a pitbull? I also see that there is a staffordshire bull terrier. This is smaller than the american. Same temperament?

Can any of these dogs do agility training? My sister wanted me to ask this question as she is interested in agility.

The Olde English looks very much like an english bulldog. How big do they get?

Thanks for all the responses.
Pitbulls and American Staffordsshire Terriers are pretty much the same thing. The only difference is that Am Staffs are bred for show dogs in the AKC. They do look a little bit different due to the fact that physical characteristics are emphasized instead of working ability. In the UKC, the pitbull can be registred as an American Pit Bull Terrier. So UKC = APBT and the AKC = AmStaff.

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a completey different breed than AmStaffs and Pits. But they are closely related. They were used for fighting and bull baiting in 19th century England while pits were used for fighting in the US. They usually are around 35 lbs. They are also reffered to as Staffys or Staffies.

I copied the history of the American Bulldog from dogbreedinfo.com to give you a better understanding of the breed:

Early Bulldogs were used in the bloody sport of bull bating. Some of these dogs emigrated with their masters from England to America. Eventually the English Bulldog was bred down in size and his personality was softened, but the American version remained a larger, fiercer dog. The American version has longer legs and more speed and agility than the English show dog. Thanks to the efforts of John D. Johnson of Summerville, Georgia the American Bulldog exists today. After he returned from WW II he was disappointed to find that, like the English Mastiff, they were almost completely extinct. He then decided to gather the best he could find from all across the rural south and bring them back from the brink of extinction. He has been breeding these dogs longer than anyone else in the world and his father bred them before him. He is an old man now (in his 80's) and these dogs have always existed in his family. He is the sole reason why they exist today. If it were not for his efforts they surely would be gone. He has been breeding them non-stop since then. The American Bulldog has also been used as a guard and in hunting bear, wild boar, squirrel and raccoon. They have even been trained to drive cattle and guard stock from predators. Farmers prize these dogs for their stamina, protectiveness, intelligence and working abilities. Some of the American Bulldogs talents are hunting, watchdogging, tracking, weight pulling, and guarding.

The Olde English Bulldog can weight from 50lbs to 100lbs. They can do agility as well as all of the other bully breeds except the English Bulldog (unless it is very well bred) Bullys can be used in pretty much any other sport too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Staffordshire bull terriers are great :D (im from the UK where they are fairly common, i dont know about America though)
They are extremely good with children/adults/strangers/ANYONE lol they are not generally dog agressive, mine arent anyway, i imagin it depends on the upbringing.
They have bags of energy so agility and hiking/jogging etc will be no problem for them.
They are also great for snuggling up on the sofa to aswell, they will quite happily settle down for a night infront of the telle with you.

They arent too big or too small, IMHO just perfect. They also dont suffer from any major health probs that i am aware of.
:D

http://www.staffords.co.uk/

http://www.staffords.co.uk/breedcouncil/breedlit/guidelines.html - is the SBT the right dog for you?

http://www.staffords.co.uk/breedcouncil/breedlit/standard.html - Breed standerd (height/weight etc)

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Trish, English Bulldogs are in a league of their own when it comes to the bullies. You would be hard pressed to find another bullie breed with the lazy, laid back attitude of an EB. Many bull breeds have a high prey drive and can be dog/animal aggressive. Have you ever owned a high drive dog before? They can be a handful. Please consider this before you obtain one. They often need a very firm hand and tons of obedience training. Comparing an AB or APBT, to an EB is like comparing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
The Australian Bulldog caught my eye recently.

More like the current English Bulldog but more agile, larger and healthier with good temperments. Also much bullier/thicker than olde english bulldogs that are being bred these days.
Check them out :)

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/aussie-bulldog.html

There are miniature and full size types.

ps: american bulldogs and amstaffs are very different breeds. ambulls are bulldogs, amstaffs are bull+terriers. I guess some standard + Painter types look more like staffs, but they still are pretty different.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.