Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound weird, but I just got an american bulldog about 3 months ago, he's now 5 months and he is white with very pink skin. When he gets tired or hot he gets even more pink. I am just wondering if it is possible for him to get a sunburn if he's out in the sun too long and if there's anything I can do to prevent that besides leaving him indoors all day long? Also if anyone has any tips on reducing his barking when he sees anyone. I am currently visiting my parents and he sleeps in bed with me and when someone comes downstairs, he just starts barking his head off even though he has played with them for almost a week now....any tips anyone could give me on this breed would be very appreciated....I'm trying to learn as much as possible

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Yes, he can get sunburnt, and you can either put a real high children's sunblock on him, or buy some that is made specifically for dogs. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lila has very pink skin as well, when she gets worked up she look like a flamingo. I use sunscreen on her as well. Just a waterproof kids version. Make sure you do the ears really well and anywhere the hair is the thinnest.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Yes dogs can get sunburned. And the sunburned areas can get nasty if they get infected (which most do since the area is itchy & the dog is constantly scratching). We use the Banana Boat Baby UVA & UVB Sunblock Spray Lotion as, in addition to being a gentle formula, it's hypoallergenic & waterproof. The spray works great to help you distribute a light coating along the body (most dogs don't like to be caked in stinky sunscreen & might lick it off if applied to heavily). When doing the head, face, & ears, spray some on your hands & rub it in being careful to avoid the eyes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Great thread. Zeus just got sunburned a little over the weekend and I was wondering the same thing. I like the sound of the Banana Boat Baby UVA & UVB Sunblock Spray Lotion. Thanks for that tip!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the tips. The idea of slathering Chase in a bunch of sunscreen wasn't really appealing to me so the spray thing sounds like the best idea.

·
Registered
34 Posts
the pinkness is just part of the breed, it shows more on all white ABs. just keep an eye out for any abnormal color that may be a sunburn. i personally wouldnt address his barking, its his way of protecting you. i would just ask whoever it is walking down the stairs to walk up to him so he knows who it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts