Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

· Registered
930 Posts
I actually feed carrots and green beans knowing they don't digest well. Valentine is on a prednisone cycle and her appetite is over the top. Feeding her vegetables makes her think she is eating and doesn't neccessarily add calories.

· Registered
615 Posts
I buy a high quality food, so I haven't been adding much. I give a fish oil tab once a day because both dogs have had dandruff and the vet said the oil would help keep skin moist and coat shiny. When they get really gassy I give plain yogurt.

I do let then have the healthy leftovers here and there, though. Green beans, chicken, beef etc that the family hasn't eaten by the next day. Usually we don't have leftovers or have very little.

Rita is on her 2nd round of prednisone for her ears. Shes been eating a lot more than normal!

· Super Moderator
14,606 Posts
I would say what makes a "high quality fat" is the amount of protein
based in the fat. Some fats, like coconut oil, are useless except to
be put into conditioners for the hair. Bone marrow has a high fat content
and protien content -
Bones contain minerals which are embedded in
protein. They also contain fat. If the bone is from chicken or pork, then
that fat will be very high in the essential fatty acids. Along with the fat are
fat-soluble vitamins. The central parts of most bones contain marrow,
which is a highly nutritious mix of blood forming elements, including iron.
Raw bones also provide natural antioxidant/anti-ageing factors including
enzymes
(internet info).

I, personally, love chicken fat for dogs. I do not give in large quantities
as it can make for a runny stool, but for dogs who may be a bit constipated,
it could be helpful. When a dog is sick, plain cooked chicken is always
recommended to help bring their system back up. My dogs know that when
they smell chicken in the house, treats are on their way.
:)

· Registered
1,117 Posts
We feed raw eggs w/ shells all the time. At least 5 a week. Dawson also gets pretty much anything meat that is left over on my plate. Hard to justify letting perfectly good meat go in the trash when dummy would be more than happy to have it. I also dont feed him the meat if it has been overly seasoned. RMB's every once in awhile. Fish oil 2000mg every day. Baby carrots he goes nuts for.

· Registered
2,139 Posts
Bella gies wild for baby carrots. I cut them up and use them as training treats. She also loves the butt of Italian bread. She hops all over the house with it like she does when she gets a new bone lol.

· Registered
30 Posts
i have found that giving buddy eggs gives him the worst gas u can imagine and milk gives him shall we say"explosive diarhea"but he loves fresh fruit and most of our leftovers end up mixed into his dry food.

· Registered
864 Posts
I actually never throw away food when cleaning out my fridge, just have a really messy train session. Kane won't get kibble that day. I often use meat leftovers that I know I won't use to stuff his Kong, along with any other leftovers that may fit the bill.

· Registered
7,384 Posts
I've been doing more and more research about coconut oil. It seems to work better than fish oil for both people and dogs. If you go with coconut oil you want to get the organic cold-pressed stuff.

· Registered
9,125 Posts
I don't think it's rocket sciences but I give Zeus what ever left overs I have. If it's not healthy for me he doesn't get it. I will adjust his food intake when feeding "scraps" as he tends to gain weight fast. Ones in a while I will throw an egg in the blender (shell and all) and put it on his kibble. When I move to the country his diet will take a drastic change to raw as I will have access to a farmer's market. Kibble is a dog's cereal, it keeps them kicking but it not a natural diet to them.

· Registered
61 Posts
My bulldog hardly ever eats. I only need about three cups of food to put in his bowl and it will last him all day (he only eats right before bed). I try to give him more food throughout the day but he would rather chase cats and go on walks. (He loves water more than food too).

· Registered
9,125 Posts
My bulldog hardly ever eats. I only need about three cups of food to put in his bowl and it will last him all day (he only eats right before bed). I try to give him more food throughout the day but he would rather chase cats and go on walks. (He loves water more than food too).
How big/old is he 3 cups of a quality diet should be fine. I have never had a dog that "free feeds" I guess I have been blessed with pigs :D

· Registered
7,384 Posts
Depending on how old and how big he is 3 cups sounds like plenty of food. My dog now only gets 2 cups a day. He also eats it all in one sitting which is fine by me - I don't like free feeding because it tends to make picky eaters and they aren't on a set bathroom schedule.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.