Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My boy has just discovered the joy of swimming. We took him to the park the other day and introduced him to its little pond (about 60ft. diameter). At first he was tenative to jump in, but once I hurled a stick in the water he was all for playing fetch.

Of course he is still on the leash, but I noticed that once he got far enough out he seemed to struggle to get his feet back onto land. My question is: do dogs have to get conditioned to swimming or should I just let him go as far out as he wants? Also, how long is too long to stay in the water. I noticed that when he goes underwater he gets water in his mouth and ears. I don't want to take him away from the pond, but I don't want to get him sick. Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
When my dog Heidi started swimming, it was a little awkward. It always looked like her back end was sinking and she was gonna flip backwards. After a couple of tries she got the hang of it and now she's like a fish! I wouldn't worry about your dogs swimming too much, she'll get out when she's tired. My dog drinks the water in the pool but we've never swam in a lake. I don't know if you would have to worry about parasites in the water. YOu may want to ask your vet about that one.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Also, watch his ears if they're getting filled up with water. I have a solution (sorry-not sure what it's called) that I squirt in my dogs ears after they swim to dry them up inside and prevent infection.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My dogs love the water. Daisy has only been in once, but it was the first time she was near water. Chaucer won't stay out of it if he is near it. He keeps his head from going under though. I usually take him to fresh water (lake, pond, river) and just hose him off afterwards. As long as they have had their shots and wormer, I don't knoww that I would be too worried about parasites. Heck, I always see people swimming in the same water. I wouldn't really recommend leaving their leash on when they are swimming. They can get tangled up pretty good and cause some problems this way. As for the ear solution, we have always used a white vinegar/ rubbing alcohol solution (1:1).

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
quicksilver88 said:
so I assume from your post that it not a problem for dogs to swim in a chlorinated pool, either?
The chlorine actually helped Heidi because her skin tends to get yeasty. :-& My parents switched their pool over to a saltwater system a couple of months ago though so she isn't exposed to any chemicals anymore. That's the only place that Heidi gets to swim. I wish I had some lakes or rivers around here but I don't. :cry:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts