Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I wouldn't get that for your puppy. He is not a small breed dog. This is what I have my baby chihuahua on, but as soon as the bag is gone I am switching her food. I do not like it at all!! It has corn gluten meal as a third ingredient then two forms of rice as the 4th and 6th ingredient. Granted rice is a better grain than corn, the corn still comes third. Then as the 7th ingredient it is beet pulp. That is sugar!!! It has 33.0% protein. That is alot for a large breed puppy. You can find a better food for your dog at about the same price. I am going with the DVP ultra premium dog food. I do not even feed my female that is 9 months old puppy food. I took her off it at about 6 months. They do not need all the extra fat that is in puppy food. If you want to keep her on puppy food I would go with a large breed puppy. You do not want him growing too fast. That itself can do more harm than good.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Switching dog foods is crazy for sure!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was recently talking to the owner of a pet food store and she was packing up all her Royal Canin and shipping it back to the supplier. She said it just sits there! She can't sell the stuff. I was turned onto Canidae by a guy who owns several APBT. It's all natural, human grade food. Janie loves it. It was kind of tough to find, but their website has a feature where you can search by your zip code. And it is for all ages. I use the dry kibble but they have canned as well....

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was gonna do DVP, but my fiance said it was kinda exspensive.. I was gonna do the duck and potatoe formula, because right now im feeding him Authority Harvest Baked.. and it seems to ALWAYS make his stomach upset to where ..well you know what happens..

Would the DVP be a good choice you think? Also he's only 14 weeks does he need to stay on puppy food?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
If he has a sensitive stomach you can put him on Wellness fish and potato, that is for sensitive stomachs. Having them on puppy food is totally up to you, I've never put my puppies on puppy food, too much protein, makes them grow to fast.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Havent checked yet, but where do you get wellness from? Petco? Petsmart? Feed store?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I have had Buster on Nutro Natural lamb and rice large breed puppy that I buy from Petco.But since he will be 6 months in a few weeks I just bought a bag of the Nutro Natural Adult Large breed in lamb and rice. I use to have him on Nutro max which tore his belly apart then went to Iams which made his coat all rough and corse so then we went to this and ~knocking on wood now~ he hasnt had any issues with from day one and Nutro Natrual is better then the Nutro Max.
Busters coat is shinny and soft now :D and he loves it.I just bought a 40 lb bag and paid $35 for it I got $5 off cause it was on sale :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Obelisk said:
I was gonna do DVP, but my fiance said it was kinda exspensive.. I was gonna do the duck and potatoe formula, because right now im feeding him Authority Harvest Baked.. and it seems to ALWAYS make his stomach upset to where ..well you know what happens..

Would the DVP be a good choice you think? Also he's only 14 weeks does he need to stay on puppy food?
The DVP ultra premium is not as expensive as the Duck and potatoe and all the others. It is up to you if you want him on puppy food. Alot of people do not feed puppy food at all, while some think that the calcium that is in puppy food is important. Personally, I only feed puppy food for a couple months then switch to adult. The puppy food ads extra pounds that are not good for the growing and developing bones and joints, espicially the hips.

·
Registered
62 Posts
dog food

I have always used Precise it is an american company i get it here in canada through a warehouse that supplies pet stores i have never seen it in pet stores and i have never heard of anyone else feeding it but it works great and has much better ingredients than Diamond and Royal which is what most of the breeders i know use. Has any one else used PRECISE here?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Stymie eats Precise Plus & loves it! He's been on it for over a year and I couldn't be happier (although it's not easy to find).

·
Registered
623 Posts
I use the Blue Buffalo fish and sweet potato. I am not sure if it is as much as the DVP. I get it from petsmart. I had to take my AB off of the royal canine, it just was not working for him.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I feed Sarge Artemis Large Breed Puppy formula. It is the large breed designation that is important - it has the things a pup needs without too much protein which could cause organ damage in a puppy and cause quick growth. You want larger dogs to grow slowly to not stress their bone growth plates and joints. The Artemis is one of the higher end dog foods - you want to watch using the adult formulas in these on puppies though due to the extremely high protein content. I get the Artemis online directly from the company - it works out to about $50.00 for a large bag including shipping. Is it expensive - yes. I think it is worth it though - Sarge is growing but looks lean and is extremely muscular.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Re: dog food

DK's said:
I have always used Precise it is an american company i get it here in canada through a warehouse that supplies pet stores i have never seen it in pet stores and i have never heard of anyone else feeding it but it works great and has much better ingredients than Diamond and Royal which is what most of the breeders i know use. Has any one else used PRECISE here?
I used to have my dogs on Precise Plus and Precise Sensicare.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Well, I just switched, too. My dogs were on Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice forever, then Chopper started having problems. I switched to Nutro Chicken and Oatmeal, that helped a little, but not much. I just bought Canidae. If that doesn't help, I'll go to Wellness. I wanted to get DVP but Petco and the feed store I got the Canidae at don't sell it anymore.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for that link!!

My fiance bought Royal Canine last night mini 32" because I was working late and Poor Mason had no food so it was a good time to get more food even though I have a bunch of harvest baked at home.. lol any how she did so before reading this thread but she mentioned they had a bulldog formula so we will probably get him that next.. he LOVES this food though.. he was all over it faster then the the harvest baked.. so well see how it sits in his tummy..

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Obelisk said:
Thanks for that link!!

My fiance bought Royal Canine last night mini 32" because I was working late and Poor Mason had no food so it was a good time to get more food even though I have a bunch of harvest baked at home.. lol any how she did so before reading this thread but she mentioned they had a bulldog formula so we will probably get him that next.. he LOVES this food though.. he was all over it faster then the the harvest baked.. so well see how it sits in his tummy..
The Adult Bulldog 24 is specially shapped for the bulldogs mouth and makes them chew their food instead of inhaling. This will help with tummy problems. Bear actually chews his food now. They don't have a specific puppie for the bulldog but recommend the puppie 32 for medium. I will be switching Molly over to the Bulldog 24 at about 6 - 8 months. For now she's on the Medium Puppy 32.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts