Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im considering changing early because of a shoulder cartilage problem that Moto has. Hes been on tablets for a month now to help cartilage growth but its still the same.

Its a rapid growth problem so im toying with the idea of canning the puppy food early and going straight into adult food to slow him down a little. Ive never done that with a dog before and the advice I can find is so mixed. Some say the change would set back healing as the nutrients as lower, some say it will improve healing by slowing growth.

Has anyone changed their pit onto adult food early and if so what advice did you get from your vet on it? Did it help the problems you were having?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I've heard that unless you have a giant breed (Mastiff, Great Dane, etc) that even feeding puppy food is unnessessary.
Pits tend to grow weird anyway, they usually get very leggy and then they look scrawny and then they fill out.
I would give him calcium supplements like http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=26&code=514. If I ever adopt a puppy, I plan on neutering him ASAP because there are new studies that find early neutering
slows down a puppies' growth and gives them 2-3X the bone density of a dog neutered at 6+ months. They grow to the
same adult size they are supposed to be, but they take 2-3 to get there. This gives their bones a chance to thicken
before becoming longer.

I would still speak to your vet first.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I dont have a pit I have an AB but I changed Busters food over at 6 moths of age.I also heard if you keep them on puppy food to long it can cause issues with there bones.Some never even give puppy food at all they put them right on the adult food.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts