Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Janie has been on Canidae since we brought her home. But I have been doing alot of research lately on the raw diet and it seems like the way to go. It aint cheap though!

The store I go to has Primal Pet Foods. Seems a bit pricey.

Any of you guys doing raw? Can you recommend some other brands? Or maybe even some recipes.

I apologize if this has been discussed before.

·
Registered
979 Posts
JaniesDaddy said:
So Janie has been on Canidae since we brought her home. But I have been doing alot of research lately on the raw diet and it seems like the way to go. It aint cheap though!

The store I go to has Primal Pet Foods. Seems a bit pricey.

Any of you guys doing raw? Can you recommend some other brands? Or maybe even some recipes.

I apologize if this has been discussed before.
Loook in to Nature's Variety raw. They're expensive but complete (AAFCO) diets.

Paula

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 7 yr old AB has Intestinal cancer I am told its expected!

[I have a beautiful AB that just turned 7 years old. He has had really bad skin allergies since he has been two where he developes bumps that leak a strawberry liquid. He is in and out of the vet for steroid shots and allergy shots by HAUSKA.
We love him like a son! He is our family so we are doing everything to help him. We have done holistic, and traditional meds on him. He currently take a half of a steroid every day. He also takes thyroid meds as well. Now he was just diagnosed witha tumor in his lower intestine. They removed all of it but he also has an enlarged lymph node.which they left alone. We are praying and waiting on the biopsy. His spirits are unbelievable. He is strong and still is happy, wags his tail and begs to go home. He is in the hospital and has been since monday. My family is so upset and we pray all the time. He just developed a swelling called Adeama under his chest (looks like a ball) and his paws are swollen. The Doc said its due to the lack of protein in his blood. He needs to develop it again. Soon as he can do that the swelling will go down and he will be better. I am told that his eating and dric a great sign and he should do well. He has been on IV since Monday, and now on a special starch med that is given over 8 hours that is supposed to thicken the protein in his blood. Could it be that he is receiving too much water to his body? He also is slightly anemic from this whole tumor experience. He started last Thursday with diahreah and vomiting and we treated him with pepto bismal as per our vet. On sunday night we got worried because he wasn't better and was arching his back and standing on his hine legs like he was on his tip toes. Monday morning at 9AM he was at the vet being x rayed.
His name is Baron Von Muchausen (Mooch). He is the best dog and the sweetest. He is really such a good dog. Does anyone have these problems wit their AB's? My family and I are absolutely devestated and the costs are emmence!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, Nature's Variety is the other brand they carry. Similar in price, but they were raving about the Primal.

I would think it was a sales pitch, but a) I really believe in raw b) three customers walked in and bought the stuff while i was there.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Re: My 7 yr old AB has Intestinal cancer I am told its expec

Bonicat said:
[I have a beautiful AB that just turned 7 years old. He has had really bad skin allergies since he has been two where he developes bumps that leak a strawberry liquid. He is in and out of the vet for steroid shots and allergy shots by HAUSKA.
We love him like a son! He is our family so we are doing everything to help him. We have done holistic, and traditional meds on him. He currently take a half of a steroid every day. He also takes thyroid meds as well. Now he was just diagnosed witha tumor in his lower intestine. They removed all of it but he also has an enlarged lymph node.which they left alone. We are praying and waiting on the biopsy. His spirits are unbelievable. He is strong and still is happy, wags his tail and begs to go home. He is in the hospital and has been since monday. My family is so upset and we pray all the time. He just developed a swelling called Adeama under his chest (looks like a ball) and his paws are swollen. The Doc said its due to the lack of protein in his blood. He needs to develop it again. Soon as he can do that the swelling will go down and he will be better. I am told that his eating and dric a great sign and he should do well. He has been on IV since Monday, and now on a special starch med that is given over 8 hours that is supposed to thicken the protein in his blood. Could it be that he is receiving too much water to his body? He also is slightly anemic from this whole tumor experience. He started last Thursday with diahreah and vomiting and we treated him with pepto bismal as per our vet. On sunday night we got worried because he wasn't better and was arching his back and standing on his hine legs like he was on his tip toes. Monday morning at 9AM he was at the vet being x rayed.
His name is Baron Von Muchausen (Mooch). He is the best dog and the sweetest. He is really such a good dog. Does anyone have these problems wit their AB's? My family and I are absolutely devestated and the costs are emmence!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Re: My 7 yr old AB has Intestinal cancer I am told its expec

Kasco said:
Bonicat said:

·
Registered
965 Posts
I use Nature's Variety with my dogs. I like it better because it is 95% meat and 5% veggie/fruit. Then I add a few extra veggies or fruit to their diet. Primal is (I believe) two different kinds. The grinds, which are 100% meat/bone. Then you have to add your own veggies, fruits, vitamins, oils, etc. They also have mixes (similar to Nature's Variety), but they are only like 70% meat. Which IMO is too low for a carnivore. I like to keep my dogs' food in the 85% meat (no less than 80%) range. And my cats get fed the Nature's Variety straight at the 95%.

Also, the meat in Nature's Variety and Primal are both supposed to be raised with no hormones and no antibiotics. But the veggies/fruit in NV are human grade; where as, the veggies/fruit in Primal are organic.

To me that is not enough of a difference to substantiate the price difference. Plus, you still get more meat with NV.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I am very fortunate to manage a health food store for dogs and cats, therefore I get my supplies at cost. The NV costs me anywhere from $14.70 to $18.90 (for a 6lbs pack of patties) depending on the protein source. I used all six varieties with my dogs.

The percentage depends on the dog's age and activity level and can range from 1 1/2% to 8% of their body weight.
Examples are:
Matieca: my 10yr old, Kelpie/Chow, 65lbs, moderately active (2 mile walk a day + 1 twenty minute ball playing sessions); she gets feed 1lb of food a day. This is equal to 1 1/2% of her body weight. 65lbs x 16 x .015 = 15.6oz

Jaeger: my 23 week old, APBT, 50lbs, highly active (4 mile walk a day + 2 twenty minute ball playing sessions + all day of driving the other 6 dogs crazy); he gets 3lbs of food a day.
This is equal to 6% of his body weight. 50lbs x 16 x .06 = 48oz
Jaeger actually gets fed a mix of 1lb of NV raw and 2lbs of Verve (by The Honest Kitchen). He gets fed 1 1/2lbs twice a day.

If you are unsure how much to feed, visit NV's feeding recommendation page here
http://naturesvariety.com/ifc.lasso?-session=naturesvariety:400C748B1b0721713AXOi2A630B1

·
Registered
965 Posts
Our NV retails for $21.95 to $26.95, depending on the protein. The only supplements Jaeger, Zeus, Eros, Rainey, Cuda, and Georgie get are Nupro Silver powder (mainly for joint health) and salmon oil. Matieca gets other stuff because of her age and past problems.

Definitely check out The Honest Kitchen. It is a dehydrated raw mix that you mix with raw meat. They have some without grains (Embark and Force) and one with (Verve). They also have a new one out, but I don't remember what it is.
Jaeger gets the Verve. It really helps cut down on the cost of feeding raw. And the NV raw works really well with it, because of the high meat content.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
When I first started feeding raw, I was terrified of choking so I fed a lot of ground products. I tried Primal, Nature's Variety, Bravo and Farmore. For the price and quality, I preferred Bravo over all the others. The nature's variety has a weird smell and my dogs didn't care for it. Also, a lot of dogs are sensitive to flaxseed and they use that in their products. I never found a product for less than $3 a lb. and I just couldn't rationalize paying that much when I could go to the market and get really fresh, nice cuts of meat for less. I joined a co-op in my area and now I rarely pay more than $2 a lb. for anything. I get ground mixes for $1.50 a lb. I would recommend joining a co-op or feeding group. Many times, they can great great prices and variety because there are large groups of people purchasing together. If you scroll down on this link, there is a listing of groups broken down by states. http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
You save a heck of alot of money if you prepare you own raw. Natures Variety is good but expensive. Primal is good too. My dogs LOVE that. But look into hooking up with a butcher. You cant imagine how much cheaper it can be.

·
Registered
979 Posts
kogeki said:
You save a heck of alot of money if you prepare you own raw. Natures Variety is good but expensive. Primal is good too. My dogs LOVE that. But look into hooking up with a butcher. You cant imagine how much cheaper it can be.
The nice thing about NV though is that it is AAFCO certified nutritionally complete. It is the only raw line out there that is. When I feed my own raw I do one raw meal and one kibble meal because I DO worry about not giving them a nutritionally balanced meal.

Paula

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.