Votes: 0 0.0%
  • submissive GOOD

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys remember the male 6 month old Rotty I talked to you about and his tail tucking when loud noises and yelling happened well he's getting mutch better and his recovery time has improved quite abit but with other dogs STILL VERRY BAD do you think it's a submissive thing around dogs or is it a nerve thing still ! :wink: and just becaues he's got bad ""nevers"" (verry submissive )around other dogs is this a bad thing ?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think being submissive can be ok, unless the dog is fear-aggressive, and not just simply submissive. Sounds to me like the dog is nervous and fear-aggressive, though.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
You should really have your friend take his dog to an experienced trainer to be evaluated. Giving a diagnosis over the interent is often quite difficult. It's good the hear the dog is recovering quicker from the stress of the loud noises though.

Regarding the dogs submissive behaviour amongst other dogs.....if the dog is feeling this threatened by other dogs continuing to put it in these situations could only make things worse for the dog. What if someone elses dog actually does get dominant with the Rot or worse yet starts a fight? Now, the already submissive (and probably fearful) dog has even more reason to feel this way. My advice would be for the owner to work one on one with the dog doing obedience in an effort to build its confidence. Leave other dogs out of the picture at least for now. Maybe it will help, maybe not? Definitely sounds like the dog has some issues though.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that’s what I got out of it to Lisa iv seen this dog quite a bit and up front we had Stella interact with him quite a bit she’s really laid back so we thought this would help and I think it has now as for the tail thing hers a quick story happened yesterday we went to the park its very away from everyone not to many people know about this place well Pablo was doing great with Stella till out of know where this large blk lab comes running up to him and boom he curls around starts to sort of lay on his side but still standing and his tail is tucked under him well of course Stella come over to check it out and she kind of goes into the same position but still happy go lucky the lab leaves and Stella chases it's play time Pablo stays still for a bit then follows the labs turns and both the pups react the same again then off the go again running playing tails up and wagging you think it had something to do with this pituclor dog ? After 20 mins or so they all did great but didn’t look good at first! He really loves this dog and works everyday with him now so I think he might be ok but ...NOW I got to wonder about Stella because she's never shown signs like this! AM I just paranoid I got to think it's just this dog but who knows I know it's hard to tell over the net but I thought I post anyway !....besides it think there’s a big difference between bad nerves and submissive dogs! IMHO

·
Registered
790 Posts
Sorry, not to offend anyone. However, there should be ZERO tolerance for any dog with bad nerves. Noise sensitivity is a classic clue. Want to guess why we do gun shots during protection trials? You guessed it. Test of nerves. My 8 week old pups were getting .22 shots in the house to weed out the bad ones.

I know the owner is trying to be a good person, but what is the gamble for society?

If it was up to me, I would put this dog down.

BOTTOM LINE. If you cannot trust it with your 5 year old kid, it does not DESERVE to live.

Bad nerves on a Rotti? Are you kidding me? Why are we talking about this?

there are MANY dogs without nerve issues that need adopting.......if you want to adopt.

·
Registered
451 Posts
PeterC said:
Sorry, not to offend anyone. However, there should be ZERO tolerance for any dog with bad nerves. Noise sensitivity is a classic clue. Want to guess why we do gun shots during protection trials? You guessed it. Test of nerves. My 8 week old pups were getting .22 shots in the house to weed out the bad ones.

I know the owner is trying to be a good person, but what is the gamble for society?

If it was up to me, I would put this dog down.

BOTTOM LINE. If you cannot trust it with your 5 year old kid, it does not DESERVE to live.

Bad nerves on a Rotti? Are you kidding me? Why are we talking about this?

there are MANY dogs without nerve issues that need adopting.......if you want to adopt.
I disagree. My friend's Bull Mastiff, who passed away about a month ago, was VERY nervous as a puppy but she worked with her and reassured her that being outside around loud noises and a lot of people was ok. She turned out to be one of the sweetest dogs also wonderful with children. She just needed some help with her confidence as a pup.

·
Registered
451 Posts
P.S. No parent should EVER leave a young child, ie 5 year old child, unattended with any dog. It's not to say that you don't trust the dog, it's simply for the child's safety. Dogs can be rough, even when playing. I know our family dog (lab newfoundland cross) used to knock us right over constantly when we were little :D

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This dog isent a complete basket case peter and I understand your point about a dog with bad nerves but can bad nerves be confused with just a timmed submissive pup! That in time with work will grow out of it!? Just wondering: and just dreaming I know.... :roll: .
I bet if you took 100 dogs lined them up then shot a gun in front of them what's the chances even 1/2 would be ok with this not very good I bet maybe 2--6 if even that many is that a good example no not for pets working dogs that are use to things of this nature maybe ...ok well we know what a professial thinks next week he's getting tested iv called my self !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts