Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taught Scrappy sit, wait, and stay. But he just wont go down. He knows how but won't do it unless he knows i have a treat. Or occasionally if HE feels like it. So how do i train him to lay down when i tell him EVEN if i don't have a treat.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Are you sure he knows the word?

You can also match up a motion when teaching him the command. I usually point to the ground for down. Lucy knows the word and she knows the hand motion.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Lure him into the desired position with food. Make sure he is hungry when you attempt this, maybe that is why you are having trouble.. Remember, he is a puppy, you want to make this fun for him. If you start using force on a young pup you coulld break his spirit. You want a dog that enjoys doing obedience, not hate it. I also agree that there is a good chance he doesn't understand what you are asking. Go back to basics.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
First get him to sit... hold the treat to his nose, then lower it to the ground and say "Down." Your dog should naturally just lie down. No special training required. Heaven caught on to this in a matter of minutes. However she IS especially smart. 8) <~~ Proud mommy.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
Heaven caught on to this in a matter of minutes. However she IS especially smart. 8) <~~ Proud mommy.
:laughing6:

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
If you are using the command "down" he could also be confused if you are telling him "down" to stop jumping on people or get off of furniture etc. If you use "down" to get him to lie down make sure you use something else to stop him from jumping and going on furniture. I use the word "off" for that. I see friends and family members do this all the time, then they wonder why the dog is confused and not listening. :-s

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I am having a similar problem. I lure him with the treat and he does it immediately, but he still won't do it without the luring, even if I have a treat in my hand. I have been working on it for like 2-3 weeks. He is really smart. Learned sit with no treat in one day. Why is he being so stubborn, other than the fact that he is a bully

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Lisa said:
If you are using the command "down" he could also be confused if you are telling him "down" to stop jumping on people or get off of furniture etc. If you use "down" to get him to lie down make sure you use something else to stop him from jumping and going on furniture. I use the word "off" for that. I see friends and family members do this all the time, then they wonder why the dog is confused and not listening. :-s
We use "off" for that too. If only she could catch on to THAT in a matter of minutes. #-o

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Heaven is very good, she will listen whether there is food involved or not. (There is no hope for Koa, LOL) ... Her drive to please me is enough. Are you praising and petting enough? I carry on like she's the greatest dog in the world (well, she is) if she does something right. She loves the attention.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am having some of the same issues. Even with a treat, she just bends her head down to the treat. I have tried starting her in the sit, and then working on 'down' from there, but still nothing. If I try to coax her into the position with any added pressure from a leash, she just backs up and fights that. If I move her legs out in front of her to coax her down, she just stands up in the rear. It is very frustrating. I never had this kind of problem with Chaucer.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Lisa said:
i agree 1000%

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
It was funny yesterday I was trying to train the "off" command, but I slipped and said "down." Heaven immediately laid on the floor and showed her belly, LOL. :lol: I was like, "good girl but that's not what I meant."

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had that same problem and im still working on it but what im doing is going down with her then slowly weening her on to doing it on her own. see my pup is very people needy she LOVES people and cannot understand why I sometimes put her away in the crate at night, but anyway she hates to be alone which was my biggest problem with her so I had to do things with her in my training then slowy ween her on her own but im am still have that problem with tootse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts