Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fina doesn't get much of tear staining, but what she does gets on my nerves.......... :roll:

So I was searching around and found this on About.com:

I had a completely white bulldog with black spotted skin. He had dark tear stains running from his tear duct area down. I tried a few of the tear bleaching products sold for dogs but none worked (besides being expensive). I also tried some suggested home remedies (e.g. hydrogen peroxide, etc.) and those were not effective either. A vet told me the tear stains were caused by the acidity in the dogs system and if I neutralized his system, the stains would go away.
His suggestion was to put vinegar in the dogs drinking water! He suggested putting just a "tiny" bit of vinegar in the drinking water for a few days (I interpreted that as about 1/4 of a vinegar bottles cap full) and then increase the amount of vinegar added until I was adding about a teaspoon to the drinking water each day (I would estimate his drinking water bowl to contain about 5 cups of water.) Each time I changed or added water to his bowl, I also added the vinegar. Within a few weeks, the tear stains were gone for good!
Anyone ever try this?

I may just give it a try, and thought I'd post it for anyone else who may be interested.

Bridget

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I have heard this but I heard it was apple cider vinegar. Are you just using white vinegar?

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I'll have to pass this on to my grandma. She has a blonde poodle, with HORRIBLE tear stains.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Please let me know if it works and the type of vinegar to use. Zack has the worst tear stains. I thought it was because of his allergies. The weather is crazy here and pollen is everywhere. I have tried the stuff from petsmart and hydrogen peroxide. I did not find either of them to work that well. So if it works, please let me know!!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not using anything LOL, I just read it today. Thought it might be useful info and wanted to see if anyone had ever tried it.

I might give it a try, but she doesn't have much of a tear stain to really see "dramatic results" LOL.

Bridget

·
Registered
125 Posts
"A vet told me the tear stains were caused by the acidity in the dogs system and if I neutralized his system, the stains would go away. "

I also heard this from a groomer when I asked for suggestions on getting rid of tear stains.

She didn't mention anything about vinegar though....she said it could be related to iron from metal water bowls and the type of food you feed the dog. I may try the vinegar though....thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone!

I've heard of this, too. However, I do not dare to try it. What if it changes something in my dog's organism for the worse in general without a possibility to make things like they were before vinegar?

My English bulldog has pretty nasty stains on his white face and I would very much appreciate it if they're gone, but I am afraid of doing him harm with this vinegar whatever it is, apple cider or whatever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts