Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
QUESTION:
Teenage Pup - What can I do?
Moose is a GREAT pup and he walks on the leash well. We have a pinch collar for him so he doesn't pull too much. Now my problem is when I walk him and another dog starts barking at him he fixates on that dog and gets very aggressive thru the fence with the other dog. Now this is what I do:

1. I walk him by the fence on the sidewalk and firmly tell him “be nice’.
(he knows this means to be good)
2. If he starts to fight thru the fence I yank him with the command NO and make him sit.
3. I make him sit next to the fence until he relaxes and then proceed to walk. If he starts
up again I do everything all over again.
Now I try to get his attention off the other dog but it takes a while. Is there something I am doing wrong or something else I can do? I won't leave the area until he totally listens to me. Please advise.

ANSWER:
Ahh yes...male AB's in their teenage years.... I swear you can have the most obedient, sweet, male pup who's done so well with his training...then the hormones kick in and...BAM...NO BRAIN!! They start to challenge your authority and act as if they have never been taught a thing in their life..frustrating, I know! I always go right back to square one with obedience work. It sounds like you have the right idea as far as having him sit by the fence with the other dog behind it....make him do some obedience moves and keep him focused on you as much as you can, if you are keeping him busy, he should be focusing on you more and thinking of the other dog less. Give lots of happy praise when he does his OB and ignores the distraction. Your dog should realize that what you have (praise, treats, etc.) is much more important than the other dog. Make sure too though, that you aren't anticipating the other dog, because your dog will pick up on your anxiety and the problem will keep happening. Hopefully I have made some sense, if not, just say so, and I will clarify! (Carrie)

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
thanks this will come in handy im sure in the next few months for people! cheers well done !!!!!!!! =D>
SEEEE THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS PLACE ! \:D/

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Around 9 months, give or take a couple of months depending on the individual dog. Bella is 9 1/2 months and has been coming into her rotten stage for a couple of weeks now. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,023 Posts
From Debs: update on Moose the teenager mood. As you all know I was confused on how my sweet Moose gets very agressive with dogs who bark at him as I am walking him. Carrie gave some good advise and I am doing what I was advised to as well as giving him commands and then rewarding him as he does it correctly. Well today we went for our walk and boy he did SO well. My arm was relaxed and he healed then the dog issue. I gave him the command and he listened. He did not lunge at the dig or even try to pull towards it. I was so happy. I have been practicing with him on a daily basis. Thing are looking up. Thought you all would like to know that with repeating the same thing gets them to know and listen to you.

Good job - back to basics and consistant follow through. Proud of you Mr. Moose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.