Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read here several times (if not more) dogs aren't fully mature until they're , what, almost 4 or so...so why is it coming as some kind of shock to me that Harley's temperament seems to be changing now? I got her Dec. 22, this year, and she's about 15-18 months old. She had wondrful manners for the first few months. Lately, she's been jumping up to greet you. She had almost NO prey drive at first, now it seems to be kickin in. She NEVER put her mouth on anybody for the first 4-5 months, now it seems she often needs correction. Also, this is embarrasing :oops: , but here it goes: she was not house broken when I got her, but she learned pretty quick. However, occasionnaly if we get up in the middle of the night, and don't let her out, she poops on the floor. Now, let me be more specific. I was up at mighnight. I let her out. My daughter woke me up at 4 am, and I almost forgot.... then I went looking for Harley before I went back to bed. Sure enough, there's a pile waiting for me. I KNOW she can hold it for longer than 4 hours. I don't like to have to crate her at night, b/c I have to leave by 7am, and she has to be crated then. It's not every night, and if my bedroom door is shut, she's fine. What is going on with my dog? I'm reading Cesar's Way right now, so maybe he can enlighten me as to how I've managed to screw up my dog's "energy"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,671 Posts
Why do you say she had no prey drive but now she does? I am a little confused by that.

Also, I honestly think you are confusing temperament with behaviorual/training issues. They are not the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
Cesar will tell you when your dog wakes you up in the middle of the night to go out, it means he is the boss. The dog should wait for you to get up. Honestly, I'm not exactly sure how you can correct this. Is she on NILIF?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, about they "prey drive" (forgive me if my terminology is lacking here) For the first few months, Harley had ABSOLUTELY NO interest in birds, squirrels, things of that nature. Now, she is fascinated, and a leash correction is sometimes needed to regain her focus. She doesn't give chase, unless she's off leash. She wasn't even interested a few months ago....

Also, unfortunately, Harley doesn't EVER communicate to me that she needs to go out. She doesn't go to the door, act agitated, nothing. I simply put her out a few times a day when I feel like it. She's not a barker at all....

I will clarify ANYTHING you ask, B/C I really could use your help here. I've said this before, but I'll say it again. Harley is my first dog. I didn't actively choose a Bully, she was chosen by a volunteer at the shelter for me. I am here first and foremost, to learn about my dog. I have a pretty thick skin, so unless you tell me to give my dog up, I'll listen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
Tara<3Boss said:
Cesar will tell you when your dog wakes you up in the middle of the night to go out, it means he is the boss. The dog should wait for you to get up. Honestly, I'm not exactly sure how you can correct this. Is she on NILIF?
When a dog sits at the door and whines to be let out (or paws at the door or rings a bell), does that mean it thinks it's the boss, too. I've always been curious about that. Some people only let their dogs out when THEY want to let their dogs out, not when the dog indicates that it needs to relieve itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,911 Posts
Moving this to the Training section.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You had me a litte confused there....I'm like, hey, where'd my thread go?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
my dogs never let me know when they have to go out. As I work during the day they know they do a #1 and #2 before I go to work, when I get home for work, a few times on our afternoon jog and then a #1 again before bed.


When people say that dogs don't reach maturity until 3 or 4 years old its not like a switch is flipped and the dog goes from puppy to adult. They go through a maturity process alot like people do. They hit that curious elementary stage, the hormonal and rebellious teenage stage, and the calming down of the mid to late 20's just like people. Instead of it all occurring in 27 years it happens in 3 or 4.

So your dog is probably just getting a little older, mor rebellious, and a little spunkier. When you bring a dog home and it is 5-10 weeks old it is quite literally an infant. Infants don't usually test their boundaries. Up until about a year your dealing with the equivalent to a small child. As the pup gets older it will go through maturity phases. Your pup is probably hitting the "teenage" phase, this where the fun begins. When they get be more defiant, hormones start kicking in, they start coming into their own and so fourth.


My OEB actually got teenage acne, he started getting what looked like sores all over the end of his muzzle. When I brought him to the vet she said he just had some "dogne" as he got older his hormones got a little wacky and he broke in zits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The adolescent phase makes perfect sense. The Nanny in me has an easier time with human analogies :oops: . BTW, when she does this, she puts herself in her crate every time, with out fail. Any suggestions as to how I should be handling her "adolescence"? Just keep up with what we usually do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Yea consistency consistency consistency. Like a kid when she acts up, correct her. If she refuses to do something that you ask, make her do it and give praise. Don't reward bad behavior by giving attention if shes being a baby (whining or crying). Like I said.. this is the fun part. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The fun part? You are kidding, right? I'm counting the days till she "grows up" :roll: . I get all the testing behavior I need at work :wink: Lucky for me, I am Super Nanny!!! Seriously, I know all about consistency, and children testing boundaries. No problems there. I can do this :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
nanniesrock said:
The fun part? You are kidding, right? I'm counting the days till she "grows up" :roll: . I get all the testing behavior I need at work :wink: Lucky for me, I am Super Nanny!!! Seriously, I know all about consistency, and children testing boundaries. No problems there. I can do this :D
LOL, the sarcasm wasn't evident?

My OEB is almost two and he while he has gotten MUCH better, he still has "his moments".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Your dog hasn't understood yet that pooping outside isn't an option. He may understand that he ought to go out, but he doesn't understand NOT to go in doors.

Techniquest to improve housetraining.

1. Clean up any accidents with an odor neutralizer. Dogs have bionic noses and will take any scent of a previous incident as an indicator of where to go.

2. Schedule feedings if you've been free feeding.


3. Teach a potty word. There are specific times the dog will need to go; after sleeping, after eating and after play. Use these opportunities to introduce a 'go potty' training phrase. Associate the word with the deed and you'll get ultimately a pee on command. Don't waste your or your dog's time trying to get him to potty on an empty bladder.

4. Supervise him indoors to reduce accidents. Each accident indoors is a bad habit being developed.

Hope this helps.
Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Sorry I meant to add;

When I raise puppies they are crated at bedtime. They agitate to go out in the wee hours of the morning. At that time we go out to potty (not to play) and the puppy is returned to the crate where he sleeps the rest of the night. It's not always some great display of dominance - sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,279 Posts
I dont give a crap , when my dog is ringing the bell to go out I am getting up and letting him out.I would rather he be the "boss" ( if in fact that is even true) then have him crap or piss on my floor.A bunch of BS if you ask me.Thats freaking horrible.Put yourself in that dogs place having to wait till you felt like getting up to let it out to potty.Man that ticks me off.

Anyway why not gate off an area in your room this way he will wake you when needing to go out.When buster was smaller he slept on my side of the bed and I put a gate up so it was just enough room for him to stretch out and when he had to go out he would paw at me.Now Buster is fully house broken and has been for a few months but he isn't a Barker either only when playing.When he had to go out he would stare at the door well if I wasn't there I couldn't see or know that he needed out which is why I taught him to use the bells and he picked up on it in one day.Best thing I ever did.You may want to try this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
Kelly said:
I dont give a crap , when my dog is ringing the bell to go out I am getting up and letting him out.I would rather he be the "boss" ( if in fact that is even true) then have him crap or piss on my floor.A bunch of BS if you ask me.Thats freaking horrible.Put yourself in that dogs place having to wait till you felt like getting up to let it out to potty.Man that ticks me off.
I agree. IMHO, some people take the "I'm the boss" thing a little too far.
 

·
Agent Squint
Joined
·
3,627 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Kelly said:
I dont give a crap , when my dog is ringing the bell to go out I am getting up and letting him out.I would rather he be the "boss" ( if in fact that is even true) then have him crap or piss on my floor.A bunch of BS if you ask me.Thats freaking horrible.Put yourself in that dogs place having to wait till you felt like getting up to let it out to potty.Man that ticks me off.
I agree. IMHO, some people take the "I'm the boss" thing a little too far.
I agree also. I try to do the "boss" thing in most cases. When you gotta go, you gotta go!!! However, my dogs have sort of accidentally learned that I let them out first thing in the morning and/or after first meal, first thing when I get home from work and/or after second meal, and the last thing before I go to bed. So, they really usually do't bother me to go out other than that unless they're trying to tell me they're sick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
BanterBull said:
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Kelly said:
I dont give a crap , when my dog is ringing the bell to go out I am getting up and letting him out.I would rather he be the "boss" ( if in fact that is even true) then have him crap or piss on my floor.A bunch of BS if you ask me.Thats freaking horrible.Put yourself in that dogs place having to wait till you felt like getting up to let it out to potty.Man that ticks me off.
I agree. IMHO, some people take the "I'm the boss" thing a little too far.
I agree also. I try to do the "boss" thing in most cases. When you gotta go, you gotta go!!! However, my dogs have sort of accidentally learned that I let them out first thing in the morning and/or after first meal, first thing when I get home from work and/or after second meal, and the last thing before I go to bed. So, they really usually do't bother me to go out other than that unless they're trying to tell me they're sick.
That's how my dogs are. They have a potty routine, and unless it's my day off and I can be at their beck and call, they hold it until those times like first thing in the morning, after their meals, at my lunchtime, before bed, etc. Bella rings a bell to go outside, but I've learned to tell the difference between her "I gotta go potty" and "I want to go outside and play" rings. :) If a dog has to go, it has to go. It's not fair to deny them access to relieving themselves and then punish them for accidents. If you're home and perfectly able to let it outside, why the hell wouldn't you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
LOL I hope you guys don't think I'm Cesar Millan here. I said that's what HE says. I don't know if it's true or not. Personally, my dog will never wake me up so that he can go to the bathroom. That might have a lot to do with the fact that we have no backyard, so the only time he goes out is when I go out :D He doesn't whine or anything to go out either, I take him out at the same times every day, so it's pretty routine. So yeah, I guess you could say, he only goes out when I say he can go out. But it's not an "I'm the boss, thing" it's just because he may only go out when I take him out.

On the other hand, our family dog used to wake my Mom up to go outside at like 4:00am pretty regularly. But, my Mom has a backyard, so Bear was used to letting us know when he needed to go out. He never did that until he got older, though, not until he was about 9. Weak bladder, maybe. I don't know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, from what I've read so far, I can honestly say that I already do everything in Paula's post. Problem #1 - since day one, I've waited anywhere from10-20 min. after Harley is finished eating to bring her out to go potty. Like a dutifull mommy, I'm right outside watching :shock: to make sure she goes "go potty!!" Anyway, never even ONCE, has she pooped at this time. Sometimes I get her playing to work it loose, but, isn't that sort of confusing the two (ppop time, play time). If left to her own devices, she'd poop about 2 hours after her meal. I thought all dogs were the same?? So, I usually clean up with straight bleach, or soak the area with white vinegar. This should cover up the smell, right? I used to scold her, but read here and elsewhere scolding after the fact is like cruel & unusual punishment. I've stopped, but I'm not even sure if I agree...if she doesn't know she's naughty, why put herself in her crate, instead of returning to the bedroom? I have thought about the bell thing (and how to keep my 3 year old from ringing it like mad). Can anyone post a pic of the bell they use?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top