Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visit this site, read how they analyze, then click to the ratings and see if you're feeding 6 star , 1 star , or somewhere in between.
In my skimming it appears most owners here are feeding a 5 or 4 star dry kibble. HOWEVER PeterC's choice of Barking at the Moon is a 6 star food. :thumbup: I did note that most all of the 6 star foods are not recommended for puppies due to very high protein and fat percentages.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
tycosales said:
Visit this site, read how they analyze, then click to the ratings and see if you're feeding 6 star , 1 star , or somewhere in between.
In my skimming it appears most owners here are feeding a 5 or 4 star dry kibble. HOWEVER PeterC's choice of Barking at the Moon is a 6 star food. :thumbup: I did note that most all of the 6 star foods are not recommended for puppies due to very high protein and fat percentages.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
I love this site and check it out all the time for updates! I would also like to point out that most of the 6-star foods aren't really recommended for dogs that aren't extremely active. The high protein and fat percentages might even do more harm than good in a moderately active dog. That's the only reason I have for not feeding those grain-free foods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
tycosales said:
Visit this site, read how they analyze, then click to the ratings and see if you're feeding 6 star , 1 star , or somewhere in between.
In my skimming it appears most owners here are feeding a 5 or 4 star dry kibble. HOWEVER PeterC's choice of Barking at the Moon is a 6 star food. :thumbup: I did note that most all of the 6 star foods are not recommended for puppies due to very high protein and fat percentages.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
I love this site and check it out all the time for updates! I would also like to point out that most of the 6-star foods aren't really recommended for dogs that aren't extremely active. The high protein and fat percentages might even do more harm than good in a moderately active dog. That's the only reason I have for not feeding those grain-free foods.
I think Lincoln won't be a highly active dog as time goes by. Do you think my 5 star Innova is still a good choice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
Lincoln's Mom :) said:
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
tycosales said:
Visit this site, read how they analyze, then click to the ratings and see if you're feeding 6 star , 1 star , or somewhere in between.
In my skimming it appears most owners here are feeding a 5 or 4 star dry kibble. HOWEVER PeterC's choice of Barking at the Moon is a 6 star food. :thumbup: I did note that most all of the 6 star foods are not recommended for puppies due to very high protein and fat percentages.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
I love this site and check it out all the time for updates! I would also like to point out that most of the 6-star foods aren't really recommended for dogs that aren't extremely active. The high protein and fat percentages might even do more harm than good in a moderately active dog. That's the only reason I have for not feeding those grain-free foods.
I think Lincoln won't be a highly active dog as time goes by. Do you think my 5 star Innova is still a good choice?
Innova is a great food. I'd stick with it! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
LOL

I have tried all of those 6 star food!!!!!
Evo
Evo RM
natural instict
timerwolf.
barkin

LOL.

I did not like timerwolf, though. It is not as good, in my experience.
I did not like EVO. It gave my dog and some of the dogs in our club, skin problems. I don't know why.
EVO RM was a bit better. I think the chicken in EVO may not be that good quality. I don't know. That is why I tried EVO RM
Natual Instict was very good, along with Barkin at the moon, but it is very steep in price and they have low stool volume with all of these foods.

I still like to rotate with Natual insticts venison and millet. My dogs get ULTRA ripped on this dog food. However, in winter, I mix with Barkin at the moon.

PS. Natural instict venison and millet is as expensive as EVO. But It is a very clean food. Very good for skin and my dogs seem to smell less doggy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BUMP for the Wet Food questioners

BUMP for the Wet Food questioners
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
I'm glad to see Solid Gold has improved it's quality...I used to feed it until they had issues...then I switched to the California Naturals...my allergic retriever is doing well on it and I don't want to upset the status quo so he's staying on it... and to keep my life easier, all the dogs now eat it.

In this review it only has a 4 star rating...that's considerably lower than some other reviews I've read...but this site doesn't explain why...does it? I might have missed the explanation... :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Rue2 said:
I'm glad to see Solid Gold has improved it's quality...I used to feed it until they had issues...then I switched to the California Naturals...my allergic retriever is doing well on it and I don't want to upset the status quo so he's staying on it... and to keep my life easier, all the dogs now eat it.

In this review it only has a 4 star rating...that's considerably lower than some other reviews I've read...but this site doesn't explain why...does it? I might have missed the explanation... :?:
Patch used to be on California Natural - its a great food... it is really good for skin allergies.
the only reason i took patch off it was because there's only one place in Sydney that sells it, so hike up the price to a ridiculous $180 for a 16kg bag!
i'm now paying $90 for an 11.5kg bag of Dick Van Pattens Organic.... found a great supplier.

They don't have DVP on this site though?????? does anyone know why?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
no, found it - but organic DVP is only 4 star??????????????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,247 Posts
Re: LOL

PeterC said:
I have tried all of those 6 star food!!!!!
Evo
Evo RM
natural instict
timerwolf.
barkin

LOL.

I did not like timerwolf, though. It is not as good, in my experience.
I did not like EVO. It gave my dog and some of the dogs in our club, skin problems. I don't know why.
EVO RM was a bit better. I think the chicken in EVO may not be that good quality. I don't know. That is why I tried EVO RM
Natual Instict was very good, along with Barkin at the moon, but it is very steep in price and they have low stool volume with all of these foods.

I still like to rotate with Natual insticts venison and millet. My dogs get ULTRA ripped on this dog food. However, in winter, I mix with Barkin at the moon.

PS. Natural instict venison and millet is as expensive as EVO. But It is a very clean food. Very good for skin and my dogs seem to smell less doggy.

By "Natural instict" do you mean Nature's Variety Prairie Raw Instinct. I am not trying to correct you, I just would like to know what it is you reccommend. Do you reccommened barking at the moon? How much do you pay for a bag?? (obviously in Canadian currency please!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
I am a bit confused here. On this site, what I was feeding Sheila before rates 116 (Authority Harvest Bake) and what I switched her to (Wellness Puppy) rated 110. question is on this site, the wellness food scores a 5star and the Authority a 3 star, so what gives????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sheila said:
I am a bit confused here. On this site, what I was feeding Sheila before rates 116 (Authority Harvest Bake) and what I switched her to (Wellness Puppy) rated 110. question is on this site, the wellness food scores a 5star and the Authority a 3 star, so what gives????
At the bottom of the Authority Harvest Baked w/ Chicken Puppy it said a complete ingrediant list wasn't available.

Maybe this site I posted IS NOT the final word :sad1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Final word or not, I understand the rating system being used based on the products used to make the food, and the Wellness I switched to has much better quality ingredients for basically the same price (a few bucks more) But just curious how on the number rating system here the Authority comes in higher??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
yep sorry, Nature's variety.

YOu know, every dog is strangely different. My bitch can eat cardboard and she would do great. My boy, if he ate 3 star or less would die of skin problems, I think. However, I think EVERY dog benefits from the best dog food you can afford. Let's face it. Cost is a factor.

In the long run, a high quality feed saves you vet bills. You cannot see it now, but 6 years from now, you will.

What most people forget is EXERCISE. I think this has an even bigger impact than food.

I also add some garlic, kelp, and raw egg, once or twice a week. Added insurance. Seems to be working.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,671 Posts
Wow, that has got to be the best website out there in regards to commercial dog food. VERY good. Thanks alot for posting that.

PS... Peter, how much does a bag of the Solid Gold Barking at the Moon cost usually?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Cost is not really much of an issue, I would love to feed her either Innova or Solid gold, but has too much protein (as per the site) for a growing pup. So gonna wait till she gets older. The other issue is availability. I know Petco has Solid Gold, and Wellness is carried by Petsupermarket. So trying to get her the best diet that is not a pain in the azz to get. She recently broke out on her belly again with a rash, last time this happened we switched her food and it went away. Waiting to see what happens this time.

Hey C, how much garlic and eggs do you put in the food, and do you put the whole egg (shell included).
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top