Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:shock: i saw it for the first time yesterday :shock:

i let baylee out of her run and she was going nutsy bo bo on me and then all of a sudden she was gagging, but no noise, she too was getting nervous cuz she was trying harder to gag and get whatever it was out..... (i thought it was a too) ...... but no breathing no nothing....

then i saw the foam come out, thank god it finally did cuz i don't think i would know what to do to help.... it was so scary!

what would you do to help a dog out with this?

(thanks in advance)

·
Super Moderator
16,023 Posts
The only time I have seen foam come out of a dog's mouth is when they have been poisoned. Foam is not a good thing and needs a trip to the vet asap. I had a cat once that I unknowingly dipped in dog dip. It absorbed into his system via his skin. He became listless and started foaming. The vet told me the only thing I could do is completely immearse him in a trash can of warm soapy water and leave just enough room for the head. Put the cat in and cover up the can with the lid. I had to let him soak for thirty minutes this way. You do this once - you will never do it again. The only way to get the cat out and live, was to step behind the taash can and quickly raise the lid up to your face to protect it. He jumped out with so much force and quickness that the garbage can that was full of water jetisoned and fell over. Water all over the floor. This was all being done in a closed up bathroom so the cat was out, totally dripping wet and wild. I had to wait for him to calm down and pray that he did not come my way, I then threw a beach towel over him to pick him up. I toweled him off and then put him into a box with blankets. About an hour later he started to foam again, the only thing that I could think of that would cut through the foam and stimulate his system was "Whiskey". So that is what I gave him. A tablespoon of Whiskey. No he did not want it. Again with the cat wrapped up in a towel and I dribbled the Whiskey very slowly down his throat. What a night - but he lived to be 19 years old and this happened when he was three.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow! what a heck of an experience you and the cat went through.... must have been traumatizing to both of you. i'm sure he scurried away at the sound of a trash can. poor thing, i can picture a cat just pawing away trying to get out of this dark, dreaded water torture.... i'm glad everything went okay.....

i think the foam that baylee had yesterday is known to EB's, it the reason they cannot be left out in hot weather....something about they can't cool of as quick and the panting creates a foam ball that lodges in the throat and chokes them to death..... i'll see if i can find something on that.....

but she very well could have gotten into something, we have workers at the house with all kinds of gunk lying around....

·
Registered
1,155 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks bearsmom, i'll read up on this tomorrow...... i hope that's not what it is..... the vet is costing me an arm and a leg for all 3 animals.... if ya know what i mean!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
snarky said:
thanks bearsmom, i'll read up on this tomorrow...... i hope that's not what it is..... the vet is costing me an arm and a leg for all 3 animals.... if ya know what i mean!
I know what you mean. But it seemed after Bear grew up it all got better. And Molly is doing well now. Gotta expect it with a EB though. And I wouldn't trade them for the world.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bearsmom said:
snarky said:
I know what you mean. But it seemed after Bear grew up it all got better. And Molly is doing well now. Gotta expect it with a EB though. And I wouldn't trade them for the world.
me either.... right before i left for work, i looked and her and got all giggly....i looked at my b/f and said, "i love her soooo much, i just can't help it.....thank you for letting me get her!" :love5:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
snarky said:
:shock: i saw it for the first time yesterday :shock:

i let baylee out of her run and she was going nutsy bo bo on me and then all of a sudden she was gagging, but no noise, she too was getting nervous cuz she was trying harder to gag and get whatever it was out..... (i thought it was a too) ...... but no breathing no nothing....

then i saw the foam come out, thank god it finally did cuz i don't think i would know what to do to help.... it was so scary!

what would you do to help a dog out with this?

(thanks in advance)
If I were you I wouldn't let her get so worked up, try to limit the "zoomie" behavior.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.