Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

She was born on Monday and already had to have "surgery". Her mom got over excited cleaning her up or taking the sac off of her or something when she was born and she had a large gash across her neck that had to have 7 staples.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's one of the main reasons, the other reason is that her mom has bad milk.
Her mom belongs to my best friends mom.

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
augrad said:
Mom has bad milk? I've never heard of that. How does that happen?
They get bacterial issues sometimes..and most common are these two issues..

ECLAMPSIA

This condition results when the bitch has trouble supporting the calcium demand of lactation. Calcium supplementation predisposes a bitch to this condition. Usually affected animals are small dogs. They demonstrate:

nervousness and restlessness
no interest in the pups
stiff, painful gait
This progresses to:

muscle spasms
inability to stand
fever
seizures
This condition generally occurs in the first three weeks of lactation and a veterinarian should be consulted immediately.

MASTITIS (INFLAMMATION OF THE BREASTS)

Normal nursing glands are soft and enlarged. Diseased glands are red, hard, and painful. In general, the bitch does not act sick; the disease is confined to the mammary tissue. The bitch may be sore and discourage the pups from nursing; however, it is important to keep the pups nursing the affected glands. This is not harmful to the puppies and helps flush out the infected material. Hot packing may be helpful.

Most dogs are excellent mothers and problems are few. The basic rule is to seek veterinary care if she seems to feel sick of if she ceases to care for her young. Puppies nurse until they are about six weeks old and then may be fully separated from their mother. A good age for adoption to a new home is 8 weeks or later.

·
Registered
703 Posts
She a pretty little girl! I've bottle raised quite a few kittens & pups in my days and I have a little suggestion, which was given to me by my vet. It was suggested to put a couple of drops of honey in with the formula for added vitamins etc. Also I would add just a pinch of oatmeal baby food(Not thick but maybe a 1/2 a teaspoon per ounce). I don't suggest using anything else but oatmeal , rice is tooo binding and will cause problems. This will add a little coating to her tummy. In a few days you will notice simple formula just doesn't last long enough between feedings.
Also the next most important thing to remember is to stimulate her into going peepee and poop! If not this can make her very ill and could also kill her.
Please keep us updated with photo's we want to see her grow!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Josie's Proud Mom said:
. It was suggested to put a couple of drops of honey in with the formula for added vitamins etc. Also I would add just a pinch of oatmeal baby food(Not thick but maybe a 1/2 a teaspoon per ounce). I don't suggest using anything else but oatmeal , rice is tooo binding and will cause problems. Also the next most important thing to remember is to stimulate her into going peepee and poop! If not this can make her very ill and could also kill her.
Thanks for those suggestions.
Will it hurt her to give her the oatmeal in her bottle since she is so young? She was born on Monday.
Do you mean regular oatmeal, or do you mean actual baby oatmeal cereal?

We are definitely making her go potty. She actually has no problem pooping, and does it mostly on her own. But we are stimulating her to make her pee.

I'll put some honey in her next bottle. She just got done eating.

*edit
How much should she be eating? She weighed 9 oz. at the vet on Monday. She doesn't eat very much. I know her stomach is probably super tiny, but how much should one at that weight be taking in each feeding?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Good for you! Make sure you keep us updated!

I did try to raise a very young kitten once (when I was young)...but I didn't manage to keep her alive :(

It's a lot of work! I wish you all the luck in the world!

·
Registered
703 Posts
molucass said:
Josie's Proud Mom said:
. It was suggested to put a couple of drops of honey in with the formula for added vitamins etc. Also I would add just a pinch of oatmeal baby food(Not thick but maybe a 1/2 a teaspoon per ounce). I don't suggest using anything else but oatmeal , rice is tooo binding and will cause problems. Also the next most important thing to remember is to stimulate her into going peepee and poop! If not this can make her very ill and could also kill her.
Thanks for those suggestions.
Will it hurt her to give her the oatmeal in her bottle since she is so young? She was born on Monday.
Do you mean regular oatmeal, or do you mean actual baby oatmeal cereal?

We are definitely making her go potty. She actually has no problem pooping, and does it mostly on her own. But we are stimulating her to make her pee.

I'll put some honey in her next bottle. She just got done eating.

Use actual baby oatmeal cereal, it is very fine milled. I began to use (baby)oatmeal in the formula when I noticed the babies didn't last as long between feedings. As far as to how much she should be eating well that will depend on her. Most pups and kittens that size only manage to eat about a 1/2 ounce or so. I also forgot to remind you to burp her(just litely pat & rub her back), she may not actually burp but they still tend to get little air pockets just like all bottle fed babies. The oatmeal will thicken her bowl movements so if you feel they are too thick just lessen the amount of oatmeal.
I don't know what formula you are using but Hartz makes a very good one for pups and kittens in both liquid and dry. I used the dry because it was easy to mix and it doesn't go bad like the liquid can if not used fast enough.

*edit
How much should she be eating? She weighed 9 oz. at the vet on Monday. She doesn't eat very much. I know her stomach is probably super tiny, but how much should one at that weight be taking in each feeding?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She didn't make it.

She just kept getting progressively worse through out the day and was having to breathe with her mouth open because she couldn't get enough air.

We took her to the vet and she suggested that the most humane thing to do for her is to send her to the bridge. I guess she is with her siblings now. :(

I tried everything I could think of for her. I really wanted her to make it.

Rest in Peace little girl. I'm sorry I couldn't help you.
I miss you so much even though you were only with me for a short while.

We named her Tipsy, because she had a tiny little white spot on the very end of her tail.. At least she didn't have to die without a name.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
oh! had sad. i never bottle fed a pup but i've done a good amount of kittens and lost 2 and it hurts. at least you triedyour bestto save her. sorry for your loss.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.