Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buster is 8 months old and is currently on Nutro Natural lamb and rice adult.
He seems to be shedding a ton anymore and I was thinking of switching his food
Any suggestions on what to switch over to???

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I switched from Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice to Canidae and all of my dogs are doing well on it. Choppers skin rashes are all but gone, he's shedding less, stools are firmer. Keep in mind that what works for one may not necessarily work for someone else. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
I recently switched from Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice to Canidae for all three of my dogs. Hemi was breaking out into skin rashes which is why I decided to make the switch. Also, my lab has always been a weird eater. She usually could care less about her food and would only eat about 1/4 - 1/2 of her food each day, if she ate at all. Since the switch, she hasn't missed a single bite and is scarfing her food like the other 2. Hemi's rashes were gone within a few days of switching food and haven't come back (it's been about 1.5 months). I have however noticed some runny stools over the last week or so. I'll be keeping an eye on that, since I don't know which dog it's from.

All three dog's coats seem to be smoother and shinier with the new food and less shedding. They also seem to have more energy. Don't know if that's related or not.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

How much difference does there coat seem to be healthy/ shinny / less shedding

Do they seem to enjoy that food more then the other?

Buster doesnt seem as interested in his food now that he has been on it for months
Wehn I first put him on it he loved but now he leaves food in the bowl

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
My dogs eat it well. Can't say they scarf it up every time I put the bowl down. Sometimes they sniff it and walk away. If so, the bowl goes away til next feeding time, then they eat it right up! LOL :lol:

Chopper is the one in my crew with sensitivity issues and I can say that I noticed a big difference in the amount of shedding and shine in his coat after switching to Canidae. I didn't really notice his coat as a problem when he was on Nutro, but after we made the switch I could see the difference!

Also, I have four dogs. A bag of Nutro (40 lb) used to last two weeks. The same size bag of Canidae lasts me three weeks, I guess because it has less fillers and it's a denser kibble they eat less.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Switched Sheila from Science diet, to Authority Harvest bake puppy and she also has no more rash problem. She likes it enough that we also use the kibble for training.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bustersmommy said:
Thanks for the info guys.

How much difference does there coat seem to be healthy/ shinny / less shedding

Do they seem to enjoy that food more then the other?

Buster doesnt seem as interested in his food now that he has been on it for months
Wehn I first put him on it he loved but now he leaves food in the bowl
let me tell you, for tank, the food had a drastic positive effect on him. tank was shedding so much, i was wondering where the hair came from. i had to vaccuum every day. his coat also looked dull and was breaking out into rashes. this could be contributed to his food allergies too, but the point is, his rashes went away fast, he shed a whole lot less, and other people who have seen him less have told me how much better his coat looks now. i went from nutro to DVP.

tank is a machine. he will eat anything. when he was young, he used to try to chew on cinder blocks and the corner of sidewalks. so i can't tell how much he really enjoys it. sorry.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the info.It has been really helpful.

FRANKTHETANK: Cinder blocks huh, maybe Buster and Tank should meet and chew together as Buster loves his rocks and sticks, and whatever he can find out in the yard :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bustersmommy said:
Thanks everyone for the info.It has been really helpful.

FRANKTHETANK: Cinder blocks huh, maybe Buster and Tank should meet and chew together as Buster loves his rocks and sticks, and whatever he can find out in the yard :lol: :wink:
i don't know why he enjoys eating that, of all things. i understand why he eats the wicker seats in my yard, but not the cinderblocks. lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts